Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Like new handset is a barred handset

Emmalcox
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, advice wanted please. I upgraded my sons phone for his birthday, he wanted the Samsung s7, but I couldn't afford a brand new one, looked further down and was amazed to see like new ( which apparently are a step below A brand new handset) at a fraction of the cost, so I went ahead. The phone arrived and we were more than happy. I went through the steps to do the sim swap but his new phone just kept coming up emergency calls only. Left it, well I had to because of Xmas but at the next available business day I rang them to get told, I'm sorry Mam you've been sent a barred handset. The operator understood I wasn't happy and escallated the case straight to management. Guess what never heard a thing from management and phone never came on. So I rang again, had to wait because of new year. Spoke to another operator, took details of imei number etc said she would esculate the case to management and put the form in to get it unbarred, To NY utter amazement its still not on..I just don't know where to turn now. I'm utterly disgusted they are taking my money for a phone my son can't use and how can a company send out a barred handset. Help and advise please

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Emmalcox
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is the email sent to complaints and CEO

Hello sir/madam,
After a brief chat with the O2 community board, I was told you maybe interested in the issue I've had with my upgrade.
First I would like to say I have been with O2 for quite a while now, and all my children now have mobile pay monthly contracts as well, I have never had one problem, so this came as a shock.
In December my sons contract came to an end so we upgraded. He wanted the Samsung galaxy s7 but I could no afford a new one, but looking further down the list we came across Like new models.
We went with a grade a like new, when it arrived we were over the moon.
We followed the instructions with the new sim to do the sim swap. Waited and waited but the phone stayed on emergency calls only. So I rand o2 customer services and after a few moments of investigation I was told " sorry mam you've been sent a barred handset" I was appalled. He escalated my case to management, but being Xmas he didn't expect me to hear from anyone till 27th or 28th December so we waited, we heard nothing and still no useable phone. So I rang again, went through the motions of explanation, the lady investigated and said well we need the imei number, so no form had gone in to get it unbarred. So she told me how to find it, found it and read it out to her. I said I would like yet again to speak to a manager, her words to me were, " we deal with this sort of thing in house" I said but I'm a customer, no reply. She said my phone would be unbarred within 24 hours and I would hear from a manager within 3 hours. Neither have happened. I've still got a handset my son can't use. A phone bill sky high because of useless phone call to o2 and nothing happening and o2 are still billing me for a handset I can't use.
I cannot presume to understand how o2 could possibly send out a barred handset in the 1st place. But then to leave me for 9 days after 1st bringing it to their attention is just inconceivable.
I do hope you can help in this matter, a copy of this email has also been forwarded to Mr Mark Evans, CEO of o2.
My details are .....

Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Very good and good luck with getting it resolved.
Please come back and let us know how it goes.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Lets hope that spurs them on to do something quickly @Emmalcox

Absolutely appalling situation. It actually shows that O2 do NOT do the required checks on these handsets before putting them up for sale,,,

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 19

Emmalcox
  • 10 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks guys will do, you've been great help 

More info
More info
Thanks!
Message 14 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hopefully you get sorted soon..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Emmalcox wrote:

Thanks guys will do, you've been great help 

More info
More info
Thanks!

It's our pleasure.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck @Emmalcox

Message 17 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Awful shenanigans. At least the op got some top advice by coming on here, hopefully the wheels will be turning in the right direction now's

O2 should be ashamed of themselves, but that's nothing new 😱
Message 19 of 19