Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving 02? Cost? Help please!

Soffie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve read all of the information on leaving 02 and fees but still don’t fully understand it. Please help!

I own my handset now (all paid off) but I still pay monthly for my tariff. I have found another provider that will do a sim card tariff which is £5 cheaper and a handset that is about £25 cheaper a month with no upfront fee.

How do I cancel my tariff with 02 and will it cost me anything? I don't want to take the same number.

Thank you in advance!
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

Just simply call 202 and give 30 days notice.
All you have to pay is one more month.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
Edit to remove PAC info as I mis-read your post about not keeping your number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions

Just simply call 202 and give 30 days notice.
All you have to pay is one more month.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-Pay-and-Go/How-does-O2-Refresh-work/ba-p/1014093
Edit to remove PAC info as I mis-read your post about not keeping your number.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35937 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1593 Solutions

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
In all honesty I would ask customer service to switch your number to a PAYG sim card.
That way, you know 100% that your monthly contract has ended as it can be a bit risky when not porting your number away from the network.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Soffie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you slight_smile
Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 144376 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
You're welcome @Soffie slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
In all honesty I would ask customer service to switch your number to a PAYG sim card.
That way, you know 100% that your monthly contract has ended as it can be a bit risky when not porting your number away from the network.

Def go this way, if you want an O2 SIM - giving verbal or written notice these days is fraught with pitfalls .

Personally I'd get a sim from another provider. Three are probably best for this - you can order a 321 SIM for free. Top up with a fiver and check if the SIM works in the old O2 handset - if it doesnt O2 will unlock your device for free as you were pay monthly - or rather you can do this yourself online in MyO2 under device details whilst you are still a customer.

Then request a pac code - by calling CS on 202 from the 02 phone with the 02 sim  in and telling them you  want a pac code. This wil start the clock ticking on your 30 days notice.  You HAVE to use the Pac before 30 days are up, or it expires. If you got a three Sim  you can just go onto the three website and fill in a really simple form to start the porting process, This takes a day or so.

Test to make sure the old number is transferred properly and your O2 contract will have cancelled. My O2 will show it as a disconnected line and give details of your final bill, which might be a credit. Wait till your payment goes out or you get your credit and then cancel the direct debit.

You are now the proud owner of an unlocked handset with £5 PAYG credit on a different network and until you make your first call its cost you precisely nothing.

Message 7 of 7