cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image compression and traffic management

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm thinking of rejoining O2 after a few years with Vodafone and have a few queries.

1) is O2 still using data compression on mobile data? Specifically compressing images resulting in very poor image quality and video quality
2) is O2 using any traffic management policy which will slow down my mobile data?
3) how is the 1800MHz refarming going and where is this available?

Thanks slight_smile
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes they still use data compression but there is no traffic management though congestion could cause slow speeds as with any network. I would seriously get free sim cards from all the networks to check the best network coverage rather than commit to a contract only to find you have signal issues further down the line.

As for the rollout, it seems to be going quite well but O2 don't publish a timetable. None of us know on here which areas will get it next I'm afraid and customer service won't be able to give you that information either.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes they still use data compression but there is no traffic management though congestion could cause slow speeds as with any network. I would seriously get free sim cards from all the networks to check the best network coverage rather than commit to a contract only to find you have signal issues further down the line.

As for the rollout, it seems to be going quite well but O2 don't publish a timetable. None of us know on here which areas will get it next I'm afraid and customer service won't be able to give you that information either.

Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
We had a suggested idea posted in the ideas section about compression but I think O2 rejected the idea of removing it.
You can get around the compression issue by using the word "bypass" as the APN log in name though.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does the bypass username work for the idata APN?

Message 4 of 6

MI5
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

Never tried it on iOS to be honest.

@adamtemp64 might know?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 6 of 6