Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated by O2 who simply don't seem to want to help

sparkle777
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there. I am hopeful that perhaps someone can shed some light as to why O2 don't seem to want to help. I am an existing customer on a pay monthly, nearly at the end of a 2-year contract and currently being bombarded with calls etc asking me to upgrade. Recently, husband (also existing O2) and I decided to take mobile broadband with O2 with each of us wanting a separate contract to maximise data. This was to be our sole broadband connection(s) at home to replace existing rubbish satellite connection. We have no normal broadband availability due to rural location. Current offer with O2 at 50% extra data also helped! So, husband does his online no problem. Then, I attempt (on my own, different log-in), and, after the system saying several times 'something went wrong', it declined. Contact with O2 suggested I need to check my credit file.

Panicking that something was wrong (but knowing that there shouldn't be) I immediately obtained my Equifax report (I was told Equifax was who they use). The report has absolutely nothing negative (I have never missed a payment in my life) on it, I am rated 'excellent' (there is no higher rating) and besides just completed O2 search, there was only 1 other search in the previous 12 months. I am on the electoral register and my credit card is paid off every month in full. I then phoned Equifax just to be sure and they confirmed there was nothing at all on there that would stop a credit application, certainly in their view.

So, I spoke with O2 again who said contact credit referrals which is email only. I did this and got an automated response saying I would hear within 10 working days. This has now passed and I have heard nothing. I also raised a complaint which I was told was 'upheld' but the only suggestion they had was to try again in 30 days.

I also went in to the O2 shop who suggested they try as often online applications 'go wrong'. This was an instant decline. Interestingly, their application did not trigger a credit search as I refreshed my report when I got home so it didn't even get that far. I was even thinking about getting the sim only and buying the device up front (a mobile router) but even that wasn't an option. The only other option they could offer was husband applying for another one but we are worried that with his recent O2 search that'll get declined as well.

So, any ideas??? Note I would happily go elsewhere but O2 is the only network with 4G coverage where I am and I know this for certain. Really keen to get this sorted before 8th August when the 50% extra data ends. Thanks.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @sparkle777

Sometimes O2 does refuse and this is due to repeated tries with the same card.

The computer picks this up and says no.

My only suggestion is to try agan using a different card if you have one. Or go back instore and ask them to process the upgrade for you.

As a last resort you could get your husband to do it for you. Not what you want but as you say it's a matter of urgency now

Best of luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
All I can suggest is that @Martin-O2 or @EmilieT take a look at this for you next week.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 16

sparkle777
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi and thanks. I did actually re-try with a different card and this gave the same result. In the shop when they tried they never asked for a card. Problem with husband trying it is I fear the same will happen given the O2 check being done recently. Also, multiple searched are not a good thing so I want to avoid this. I also did everything O2 asked but they don't appear to give anything other than a standard response. They have done a search on me and I know there can't have been anything negative so I would have thought they shouldn't have to do this again if it is something within O2's systems stopping it. Thanks.

Message 4 of 16

sparkle777
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thankyou MI5 for tagging people who may be able to help. Most appreciated.
Message 5 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122890 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@sparkle777

Problem is the community team who have been tagged wont be back on till Monday....I thought you said the offer finished on the 5th?

I hope it gets sorted though..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
8th apparently and I did say it would be next week.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 16

sparkle777
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you again. Yes, the offer ends on the 8th so hopefully there is still time for someone to look into it. I wasn't expecting anything over the weekend. I am really hopeful I can have the contract. I'm a very good customer I promise!! 

Message 8 of 16

sparkle777
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Also, just to clarify it's not an upgrade. This is a separate contract for mobile broadband. I already have a mobile contract with O2 which by coincidence is now eligible for an upgrade as I'm nearly at the end of 24 months. I was told upgrading would be no issue as there are no checks done. I keep getting messages about this!!

Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If it was up to me @sparkle777 I'd give it you now wink

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16