cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free handset

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi a little over a week ago I puchased an Iphone 5 from the 02 store and payed £79.99 and £36 a month. o2 then sent me a letter stating that my contract is actually with the carphone warehouse. This is fine except that if you buy your phone from the carephone warehouse (on o2) the handset is FREE! I bought from the o2 store becuse of loyalty as I have always had fantastic customer care and service with o2. Yet now I find out that my contact is still with the other dealership either way and i feel a little cheated. (if i had bought through carphone warehouse directly i would still have acess to o2 services and help)

Has naybody else had a similar experience or could offer and helpful advice?

Regards

p.s i will most deffinatly be contacting o2 customer care about this.

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the OP may have their wires crossed.

The contract is always with O2. Carphone Warehouse aren't a contract provider, they're a phone shop.

The cost for taking the phone can depend on where you get it from.

If you buy the iPhone from O2 (as in an o2 shop) the stock is being sold by O2 and fulfilled by O2 and you pay the price they want to charge for it.

If you buy the phone online/telesales with O2, the stock is being sold by O2 but fulfilled by Carphone Warehouse. The cost is not always the same as the cost of going direct to Carphone Warehouse.

As said previously though, the contract is always O2.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - that is most strange. As far as I was aware (unless it has changed), the O2 stores still stock their own iPhone 5s and this shouldn't be done through CPW. CPW were only stocking online and telesales orders.

Unless someone else knows what's going on - I'll post back in a bit once I've found out for you the deal with store orders slight_smile

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the OP may have their wires crossed.

The contract is always with O2. Carphone Warehouse aren't a contract provider, they're a phone shop.

The cost for taking the phone can depend on where you get it from.

If you buy the iPhone from O2 (as in an o2 shop) the stock is being sold by O2 and fulfilled by O2 and you pay the price they want to charge for it.

If you buy the phone online/telesales with O2, the stock is being sold by O2 but fulfilled by Carphone Warehouse. The cost is not always the same as the cost of going direct to Carphone Warehouse.

As said previously though, the contract is always O2.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
More to the point he's after his £79.99 back !
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry i checked my statement and yes o2 is the one taking my money for both the contract and the handset cost. However, my letter including contract details and terms of service etc that came with the phone is all from carphone warehouse and if in this case the phone was indeed supplied by carphone warehouse why should o2 charge me an extra £79.99 for exactly the same service?

When i purchased the phone from the o2 web store it displayed a message saying your phone will be supplied by carphone warehouse or something very similar so in that case o2 not giving me the better deal on their own network which is avliable from carphone warehouse. 
I think i am entitled to feel cheated a bit.

Thanks, for the replies

Chris

Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest I don't agree with you on the "cheated" bit.

No-one forced you to buy it from O2. You made a choice to. If it happened to be more expensive there than from CPW then what?

If you bought a DVD from Tesco and saw the same one in Asda £2 cheaper would you expect Tesco to care?
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If i did buy a dvd from asda, asda would'nt then say you dvd will actually come from tesco not us, thanks!. 
My gripe is that i basically paid o2 £79.99 for nothing since the phone came from carphone warehouse which supply theirs on that specific o2 contract for free.

Yes i should have shopped around more but as i mentioned in my first post i have privously been an o2 customer for many years.

Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure also you'll be aware that the £79.99 goes straight to Carphone Warehouse seeing as they're issuing you the phone wink

What difference does the length of time you've been an O2 customer to the fact you didn't shop around?
Message 8 of 8