Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sgtbrow4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi All,

This looks like the right place to seek help. So last year someone rang me up from O2 asking if i would like a tablet on contract, as my mothers birthday was coming up I thought sure why not. I think it was about £15 p/m. One of the main reasons I agreed is because the chap selling it told me the sim-card would work in my iPad, so I thought cool, give mum the tablet and I get to use data on my iPad.

Turned out the sim didn't work. Anyway, 6 months on I though why am I paying this when I cant use it, so I spoke to customer services and explained the situation, he checked my account and verified that the account usage (nil data used) was consistent with my story. He sent a new simcard out to me assuring it would work in the iPad and as a show of good faith (he said) he would credit my account with 6 months work of contract.

I then asked can I stop the direct debit now and resume paying it 6 months later, he was like yes ofcourse not a problem.

fast forward 6 months and I get an email from a debt collection service saying I owe money to o2. Shocked I check my account and its been closed and defaulted. Which has also left a default on my credit report.

I have no issue paying the oustanding £134 or whatever it is, whatsoever. I'm 24 just about to start out in life and for the sake of £130~ I cant borrow anything! not for a mortgage or a car or nothing.

The only evidence, if any, that I have is that they sent me a sim card on the day and hopefully they recorded the chat. I can not pin point the day or time as I completely forgot about it for 6 months (Not something you remember!)

I honestly do not know what to do, I havent contacted o2 regarding this yet as I thought someone on here could advise the proper steps and who to contact.

PLEASE HELP ! STRESSING OUT BIG TIME

regards,

Tom

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @sgtbrow4

I'm confused about the part when O2 said you could stop your direct debit and resume it 6 months later?

This is not customary practice.

If you didn't record the conversation then you have no evidence it ever happened.

Honestly the only people who can sort this out for you are customer services. https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Give them a call, explain what happened and offer to pay the outstanding amount.

If they agree to this, you can then put a note on your credit file to explain the situation.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I assume you stopped paying for 6 months because you were told you were given 6 months credit, which, in hindsight, you should have checked was applied to your account.
The problem you have now is that the default has been correctly applied to your credit file, so o2 won't remove it, even if you pay up, so the best you can do is apply a notice of correction on your credit file yourself, explaining the circumstances and hope that lenders take notice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I didn't infer they would remove the default. My concern is getting the debt paid and putting a notice of correction on his file.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 6

b4u2
Level 8: Talented
  • 368 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
for something like this ring customer service
Message 5 of 6

sgtbrow4
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Looking at it now it was a massive mistake of mine and an even bigger regret, given the circumstances this has got me into. I figured I had little to no chance of rectifying it as in o2's eyes they done it correctly.

Yes at the time I was finishing my final year in university and money was tight, so I thought great extra £20~ month is great, so I cancelled my direct debit. Regrettable to say the least.

So moving forward I should contact o2 and try to settle the debt and apply a note to my credit file hoping lenders take notice. I am hoping that o2 can still settle the debt and I don't have to go through these debt collectors?

Thanks for your swift and helpful reply.

Regards,

Message 6 of 6