Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data speeds

Woody1073
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there I’m new to the community so have no idea how it works yet but I’ll have a look round and familiarise myself with how I use this service but in the meantime I have a question about data speeds, my average speed on o2 is between 0.38mbps to 4.32mbps is this average for o2? I’ve just moved over from three mobile and data speeds were very similar on three though a couple of years ago they were averaging 10mbps, I know it’s not a problem with my phone becomes at work last night being only a couple hundred feet from the o2 mast in my works car park I recorded 98.3mbps on ookla so my iPhone 11 doesn’t seem to be having problems with receiving signal but the above readings were taken at home, on a map of o2 masts there are 3 masts in my location in a triangle formation and I’m bang in the middle and they are approximately 1 to 1.5 miles away if this makes any difference? Also I’ve already messaged o2 and after a couple of days messaged back saying there are no issues in my postcode area.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
It is more likely a problem with the number of people trying to use the network.
As daft as it sounds try switching your phone to 3G to see if that helps.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 9

Woody1073
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi gmarkj I’m forever changing from 4G to 3G and vice versa to see which gives me the most stable data stream and to be fair 3G and 4G are often on par with each other, I live in skegness so the population isn’t that great at present as opposed to summer when nobody can get any signal lol, I’ll keep tabs on it as I’ve only been on o2 for a couple of days so it may take a week or so to settle down.......or at least that’s what I read somewhere 👍
Message 3 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You may want to thnk about your 14 day change of mind option

A phone is only as good as network coverage

It's pointless struggling for 2/3 years

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/device-and-sim-support/our-change-of-mind-policy

Message 4 of 9

Woody1073
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi there, well I’ve tried three, now on o2, I did get a sim from Vodafone a couple months back but signal was non existent so the only company left is EE I went in the EE website and put in the coverage checker 3 different postcodes (places I’m regularly at and need signal) and on one of the postcodes it said there’s no service whatsoever so it’s looking a bit bleak whichever company I’m with to be fair, hopefully when 5G takes off more people will be using that and free up 4G though I doubt 5G will reach skegness for another several years.
Message 5 of 9

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12082 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1125 Solutions
Having been up that way myself I know that the coverage is a little hit and miss but it normally works.
If you have already tried the other networks then I'm not sure what else to suggest...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 9

Woody1073
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yeah I think I’m stuck with making do with what I have, I’d be interested to know if there’s something I can have at home to boost the o2 signal? I don’t know if o2 offers this as I can’t find a way of emailing them for information, it would be handy if there is something that could amplify the signal preferably something that DOESN’T require an internet connection then I can use it in other locations that have patchy signal. I could always take my phone somewhere with good signal to do important things but that’s not convenient for example today I wanted to use a well known online photo service to get a load of free photo prints so I accessed the app and tried to send the pictures to them through the app but it kept failing telling me I had no internet connection, I did but according to ookla I was only getting 1.3mbps data transfer
Message 7 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144497 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27709 Solutions

@Woody1073 

A boostbox is only available to business customers and requires a fixed LAN anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Woody1073
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah ok thank you for your input I think I’ll just have to make do with what I have 👍
Message 9 of 9