Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling sim only contract

Stuart56
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If I cancel my Direct Debit the day after I’ve paid the bill will that automatically cancel the contract?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Stuart56 

No.

You need to cancel Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Leave the direct debit in place until the final bill is paid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions

@Stuart56 

No.

You need to cancel Guide: Cancelling Your Contract 

Leave the direct debit in place until the final bill is paid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 2 of 7

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6437 Posts
  • 116 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Stuart56 

Prematurely cancelling your DD could end up having adverse consequences for your credit score.  

Message 3 of 7

Stuart56
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I’m going to have to do this because they say number is not an O2 number when it definitely is . 

Message 4 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36556 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

Who says your number is not an O2 number, @Stuart56? The new network, or O2's automated processes?

It won't be the first time O2's systems have denied an O2 number is active on the O2 network, so give it a day and check again. Or reach out to O2 via Social Media at the link just below. 

Note also when you cancel, as above, there may be a refund to your bank, as your billing is always a month in advance - if you remove the Direct Debit before that final reckoning, you will have an equally hard time getting any money owed to you out of O2 as you would settling the remaining balance you have to pay on your last bill, if any, as your MyO2 access will also be terminated when your request to close the contract gets processed.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 7

Stuart56
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 themselves say it’s not an O2 number , the sim was originally a virgin sim but also tried them and they said number not recognised.  No idea if it makes any difference that I requested the STAC code in hopes that would cancel contract.  

Message 6 of 7

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 36556 Posts
  • 235 Topics
  • 1623 Solutions

Give it until tomorrow to text STAC to 75075 - then if similar non-O2 number response, call 202 from your handset around 08:10am to get a chance of a local agent answering ahead of the rush, @Stuart56 

And if your number was a Virgin one, it will have been transferred to O2 earlier in the year anyway - and will have been reliant on the O2 network since then. Good luck!

Message 7 of 7