cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appalling treatment from o2, please Help

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been a loyal o2 customer from before 2006.  On average I've been paying them £720 a year, which works out at over £5000.  
I faithfully renewed my contract in April of this year and took out a new 2 year contract with a HTC one X.  
On Saturday the 1st of September I put my phone on charge and left it for 20 mins, when I looked at it again it wasn't charging. I tried my daughters charger (also a HTC) and tried charging it from my laptop, none of which worked.  It wouldn't switch on at all either.  

I phoned the customer service line who offered me the option of having it picked up by courier for repair, or I could take it to my local o2 store.  I decided to physically leave it to the o2 store as I was told they would issue me with a brand new handset on the spot as my phone was still under warranty.
I needed a handset urgently to run my business.  

When I got to the store on Monday the 3rd of September, I was told the phone would need to be sent off for repair, and should be returned within 5 working days.  I was really upset by this as I really needed a phone for my business and had been led to believe that I was entitled to a phone that day.  I was offered a "loan handset" in the meantime for a deposit of £25.  Which I instantly took as I needed to access clients details and needed internet access. 
To my dismay, the phone was a very basic phone (worth under £15) and I couldn't access either of what I needed for my job.  
However, After losing a lot of business, I patiently awaited for the call from the o2 store, I had to contact them myself on the Tuesday 11th of September (8 days later) I was told my phone was back from repair .

I went up to collect it and thankfully decided to swap sim cards from my loan phone to my HTC one X at the counter in the store.  When I peeled back the blue plastic on my phone, I discovered that the screen was smashed to pieces.  I explained to the girl that this was either not my phone and not the way I had left it in.  She tried to argue with me that it was my phone and I must have left it in like that.  I asked her why a phone sent off for repair would come back with a broken screen.  Thankfully her colleague beside her remembered me from bringing the phone in and had put in his notes, that my handset was cosmetically perfect.  
She was then was very apologetic and went off to sort out what had happened and what could be done.  I'm only grateful now that I didn't walk out of the store before opening the box.  She came back some time later, again apologising for what had happened and promised me that by way of apology a "BRAND NEW" handset would be issued out to me within 3 working days.  I took this to mean Friday the 14th of September.  

However Friday the 14th came and went as did Saturday 15th and Monday 17th of September.  I had phoned the store several times and tried to take the matter up with o2 on-line and over the phone customer services and all kept telling me that it was an issue with the store.  I had phoned the o2 store iagain and was told the phone would be in soon, as they had no "BRAND NEW" HTC's in stock, and they were still waiting on confirmation from o2 regarding the damage to the handset.  By this stage I was becoming very upset and frustrated, and had lost over £500 worth of business.  I felt like I was continually being fobbed off.  
As luck would have it, I got a phone call from the store on Tuesday 18th September to say my phone was ready for collection.  I was extremely disappointed to see a reconditioned handset, and not the brand new handset I was promised.  

After 2 weeks without a proper phone and still paying my contract, I was just glad to have it back and took my beating by o2 and left the store to reset up my phone.  
Yesterday 10th Oct, I looked at my phone and saw that the battery needed charged, I plugged it in and guess what? It wouldn't charge, and wouldn't switch on.  This handset was 22 days old. 

So off I went on my 4th round trip in the space of a month to the o2 store.  
The asst manager was very apologetic, and tried to charge it for me in the store, it wasn't happening.  
She did say she was now in a position to offer me a totally different and again, "totally brand" new handset and I wouldn't have to take the HTC One X back again.  All she needed to do was wait on o2 giving her a list of phones that were available to me that were the same "spec" as the HTC one X.  She promised me that they would get back to her by the latest the next morning, and depending on my choice I could collect the phone in the store or it would be sent out immediately by courier.  
Here is a copy of that list 

HTC Desire
HTC Desire S
HTC HD7
HTC HD Mini
HTC Mozart
HTC Salsa (Icon)
HTC Sensation (Pyramid)
HTC Wildfire S black or silver
Nokia E72
Nokia C7
Palm Pixi Plus
Palm Pre
Palm Pre Plus
Samsung B7610 Omnia Pro
Samsung Galaxy S1
Samsung Galaxy S2
Samsung S5830 Galaxy Ace
Samsung S8530 Wave II
Sony Ericsson X10
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini
Sony Ericsson X10 Mini Pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo
Sony Ericsson Xperia Play Zeus black or white

Not one of these phones are anywhere near the spec of the HTC one X, nor the worth anywhere near as much as it is. I do not want to go backwards in a replacement phone.  

I didn't renew my contract 5 months ago for 2 years to take on a handset worth @£150.
 I explained to asst manager the only phone I would accept in its place was the samsung galaxy s3, and would pay any difference required, as all I wanted was a phone that works and does what I need it to do for my now failing business.
I've been refused.  

Ive been treated appallingly and am paying for a contract phone that I cannot use. My brand new HTC was under warranty, why was I given a shoddy reconditioned handset that didnt last a month (22 days)? Why am I the one who is out of pocket, diesel and business? Do I have any come back at all?? 
Thanks in advance for any advice 

Claire 
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Claire

Getting a replacement phone during the repair process is normally a reconditioned handset.  This is in line with manufacturer's guidelines (which o2 are bound by). 

The shop has muddied the waters by talking about "brand new".  This is the store's issue to solve with you, not anyone else's.  They have their own complaints process, which is store manager-led and if still not satisfied then dealing with the area manager (store manager's boss). 

In terms of getting a choice of replacement handsets, that will have been a goodwill gesture by the store, and not something they were obliged to do.  I genuinely think they're trying to help you, given the inconvenience you had.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi magnersplease, at least you're only paying £720 per year.  O2 took £720 in one month from me and now won't give it back.  Theft I call it.

Message 3 of 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I'd choose the S2 off that list......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pablo, 

Thanks for your reply.  My main concern here is that I had a 4 month old phone, that I loved cherished and took very good care off.  It was a fault with the handset on 2 occasions that it stopped working, and the third time was down to the o2 shop staff/couriers negligence.  I am now entering into my 6th month of this contract and have had only had my phone for 5 of those months.  

Surely under the Sale of Goods and Services Act, I have every right to ask for what I initially paid for.  What I have been offered is not what I signed for.  If they aren't providing me with the service I thought I was getting I would rather cancel the contract.  The third handset they gave me, broke within the 28 days guarantee also.  

Regarding the "goodwill" offer is it not o2's policy to allow you to change your handset after its been repaired 3 times? Do you know why they offer you a list of phones that are a down grade from the original handset I had signed up for? 

I will send a letter to the store manager and see what happens though, thanks again! slight_smile

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Their customer service is appalling! They have gotten worse, hope you get your money back. I suppose theres always some one out there worse off! Good luck
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone, 

Just to let you know that I eventually got my issue sorted. After a lot of complaining in "writing only" and by stating my rights as a consumer, I got the handset of my choice and 30% discount off my line rental for the rest of my contract.  

I refused to take any more phone calls from any o2 staff as I had been fobbed off with lies so many times before.  

Thank you all though for your help and advice

Message 7 of 7