Did you mean: 

New PAYG Confusion

PAYG2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I just wanted a bit of clarity on the new Pay As You Go situation. I was forced to change my Granny's network provider as Virgin were closing their PAYG service at the start of the year and they suggested a switch to O2. 

Even I who knows a fair bit about these things, couldn't get my head around these new PAYG bundles as I didn't realise until I had done some research that many networks are moving away from classic PAYG (a mistake in my opinion).

Anyway, I decided to pursue it and put £10 on to start it off then sent a text to claim the complimentary £10 credit that O2 were offering which she never seemingly got (only ever showed up as £10 not £20). 

Also can anyone clarify whether the credit automatically reduces over the month? As we topped up £10 last month but now it's already gone down to 12p and she barely used it. I presume this is meant to happen?

Obviously she think it's a waste of money and so do I, so I'm looking into changing her to a traditional PAYG like before of which there are a few still in existence (ASDA Mobile, Giff Gaff, etc.) because that is what would most suit her taking into consideration how often she uses her phone. O2 don't seem to offer traditional PAYG at least not to customers on an existing tariff so whether I could have got one before we signed up I'm not sure as O2 didn't make it clear whether it was an option.

In our eyes it's one of those if it ain't broke, don't fix it scenarios but there you have it. Can anyone offer any clarity on this at all before I go ahead and switch over?

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@PAYG2 

O2 bundles explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles

If she was showing £10 credit it would be the promo credit as otherwise it would show as £0.00 once the allowances were added.

1p Mobile is another cheaper classic payg provider to look at in addition to those that you have mentioned.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@PAYG2 

O2 bundles explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles

If she was showing £10 credit it would be the promo credit as otherwise it would show as £0.00 once the allowances were added.

1p Mobile is another cheaper classic payg provider to look at in addition to those that you have mentioned.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 4

PAYG2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I presume these bundles are designed for people who use their mobiles on a fairly regular basis. Whereas, my Gran really just uses hers sporadically and takes it out and about with her. Also, her international skills will never go through so I think traditional PAYG may be the way to go.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

O2 bundles are not the best choice in your situation for sure.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 4