Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a sim card

Benedict
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had an old Samsung GT C300k unlocked phone working on a  Pay as  you Go Sim, then was given a                  ZTE z716BL. Decided to change the Sim card over.

The sim card had to be made smaller  by popping the outer frame.

When I fitted it  to the ZTE nothing happened so returned the card and the outer frame to the Samsung.

Now it says fit  Sim, even though the Sim is fitted.

The Sim is not bent and slides in ok.

Is this normal or do you have to handle them with Marigolds or similar?

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Benedict

Normally they are quite resilient but yours seems to have failed.
If you pop into your local O2 shop, they will give you a new one with your number and credit on it for free though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Benedict

Normally they are quite resilient but yours seems to have failed.
If you pop into your local O2 shop, they will give you a new one with your number and credit on it for free though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 7

Benedict
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks MI5.

O2 were talking  of a 4G card, I doubt if the present one is  4G. As the phone is only for car emergencies   ie Calls and Texts  but not outside Internet  then do I really need 4G. What is the difference between 3 & 4 G?

I am new to mobile phones and don't really use one day to day being retired. 

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All cards are 4g these days but it will not make any difference to your usage.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 7

Benedict
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My local O2 shop were able to restore the sim card and  Samsung to working order but told me the ZTE was locked to the US Pay as You Go card and couldn't do anything.

The phone was bought in the US and was locked to some  obscure provider called Tracphone .com

A couple  of  local places either wanted the phone to send away or keep it for several days to unlock it , but could not give a price to do so, which soundeda bit iffy.

I then saw on the O2 website 'Unlocking a non O2 Phone'  and sent the  IMEI number to O2. 

The ZTE has Internet capability and I was able to use the house wifi through the phone to send the IMEI number. 

It will take 7 days, which is  fine. 

What happens next after the 7 days?

What do I need to do then?

The aim is to use my present O2 Pay as you go sim card in it. 

The phone is not attached to my body as an appendage but resides in the car for an emergency. 

Thanks 

Message 5 of 7

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Unfortunately I doubt O2 will be able to unlock it for you, but if they do manage it, they will send you a code that needs to be entered when the phone boots up with a blocked sim in it.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 7

Benedict
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you MI5, I will let the forum know what happens.

Message 7 of 7