cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi can anyone help, Ive been trying to solve an issue re: chat and on the phone to O2,

still confused with replies

I have a tablet and want a data only as I only use it when travelling to EU land usually once or twice a month

I use it mainly in transit to check -plane -bus and train timetables etc and would then connect to free wifi once at my destination,

Ideally I want PAYG ( same as my mobile ) but I keep getting offered packages...I dont want a package I want PAYG as that suits my needs, I enquired can I use a PAYG mobile phone sim in my Tablet some advisors say yes others say no I need a data only package... (that word package again ! ) so more confusion

appreciate any info or help, Many thanks and regards, john

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
If it came from O2 it will be locked but a giffgaff or Tesco sim would work in it as well as an O2 sim.
Both Tesco and giffgaff will provide you with data abroad though, unlike an O2 tablet sim.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous If you already have a tablet you can get a data only sim. Either pay monthly or PAYG.

You could also get a 30 day sim only package. All listed here. Just choose the one you want

https://www.o2.co.uk/tablet-sims

However, if for use abroad, I can tell you from experience that using WiFi on your device is the best way to go.

Everything else is far too expensive

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
O2 tablet data sims don’t work in EU so I suggest you look elsewhere.
If you are planning on using wifi a SIM card won’t be needed anyway.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you..appreciate your help
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you...looks like free wifi is the way to go
appreciate you help..
Message 5 of 13

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
A giffgaff PAYG Phone sim would work in your tablet when in EU.
You’ll get 3gb of data for £10
https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans

Currently using:
Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Thing is, so many places offer free wifi (just to get your business) so when out and about with my tablet in the EU that's all I ever used. I had a HP tablet which did work abroad with data but it was so expensive I turned mobile data off on the tablet and just used Wifi..Hotels, bars, restaurants etc etc .. ad infinitum...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
Fortunately, it's no longer expensive.
3gb for £10, same as at home with the gg sim which will work straight off in an O2 tablet.
Useful for when "in transit" with no access to wifi.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should add, I have a Samsung S2 tablet
Message 9 of 13

MI5
  • 144662 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions
If it came from O2 it will be locked but a giffgaff or Tesco sim would work in it as well as an O2 sim.
Both Tesco and giffgaff will provide you with data abroad though, unlike an O2 tablet sim.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 13