cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestion before I flush this phone down the toilet?

ThePig
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

For many days I haven't been able to receive calls on my PAYG mobile, which has about £18 credit. The caller  waits about 20 seconds, then is informed that I can't take the call and goes straight to answerphone. Later, I receive a missed call SMS.

95% of outgoing calls simply don't connect. They just sit for 20 seconds then disconnect. Not even voicemail  works and this is even when there's a 2+ bar signal (which is very rare despite living almost on top of the mast).

Internet data either doesn't work or is so slow it gives up. Each is as likely as the other, given the 1990s level of technology and signal capacity O2 provides.

I can receive SMSs (good job as you have to do this registering for this forum, so good luck to people wanting to join asking why they can't receive SMSs). That's literally the only thing I can do on my phone.

So my questions, if anyone would be so kind, are:

1) Other than all the 'obvious' things to try - rebooting, leaving and rejoining the network, removing and cleaning the SIM - is there anything anyone can suggest to remedy this clown show?

2) Is there any point in me getting a new SIM? And is that even possible, given that I'd want to retain my existing number.

And I did contact support. After 55 minutes waiting, three department transfers (I was talking to the right one initially), a further 32 minutes on hold whilst my account was 'checked', five minutes of being told that my problems would go away if only I opted for a monthly contract, I was advised, "Er, have you turned it off and then on again. I'm not sure what else there is."

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Oxonian
Level 35: Originator
  • 9678 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:

@Unanswered 

o2 aren't like Virgin, and never heard of anyone been contacted to beg to stay... this forum makes up a very miniscule number of o2 customers... as if the o2 store I was in today is anything to go buy 99.9% of customers are happy...

That's an interesting viewpoint @madasaf1sh. "Happy" ? I personally would say that 99.9 per cent of O2 customers are not sufficiently dissatisfied to leave ; and that's probably the case for the customers of the other UK MNOs too. 😀

Message 11 of 15

ThePig
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I swapped my O2 SIM to a 'dumb' £30 phone and it works fine. So it must be my Sony XZ1 that's the problem... except it doesn't appear to be. I put an EE SIM into that and that works too. There's no accounting for such things.

On the bright side, when I took out my O2 SIM then replaced it, I got a message saying 'Welcome to O2' with a £5 bonus. I checked my balance and yep, it was true.

Edit - Also, the signal strength on the 2G dumb phone is a solid 2 - 3 bars right now. On the XZ1 it is mostly 0, occasionally 1 bar, on both 2G and 4G. The wonders of modern technology,

Message 12 of 15

Oxonian
  • 9678 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@ThePig 

That's quite mystifying.

On the positive side, it now looks like you have got two working 'phones ! 😀

Message 13 of 15

ThePig
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep, an inelegant solution - but a solution nonetheless!

Message 14 of 15

Oxonian
  • 9678 Posts
  • 231 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

@ThePig 

Yes, solved ! 👍 

Message 15 of 15