cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

o2 UK SMS number format

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I run a membership website and when people join I want them to have the option to receive SMS alerts.

The idea is that they select their mobile provider from a dropdown list, type in their mobile number in an input box, and when things they are interested in occur, they receive a text message.

I have been informed that the SMS @ code for o2 UK is phonenumber@o2.co.uk but this does not work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can't find one listed for O2 UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

O2 did used to run a service called MMail but I don't know if it still works:

Mmail

With Mmail you can send and receive emails from your mobile without any complicated set up or subscription charges.

How Do I Send an Email?

You can send an email form your mobile in exactly the same way as sending a text message. The only difference is that you must type the email address then a space at the start of the text message. Then type your message and send it to shortcode 212.
e.g. 'your.name@o2.co.uk Hi there. Hope you're having a good day ...'.

How Do I Receive an Email?

For people to send an email to your mobile they must send it to your Mmail address - see below. You will receive the email in the form of a text message. The email can be as long as you like but it will be delivered in messages of up to 160 characters. The first message will also contain the sender's name, title of the email and the start of the email. In order to get the rest of the email you will need to request to read the next section. The number of the email you are reading will be shown at the bottom of the message. To read the next part of the email text the number of the email to shortcode 212.

How Can I Set Up Mmail?

Compose a text message with the word, 'ON' and send it to shortcode 212. Then simply follow the on-screen prompts. If, at any point, you want to cancel this service simply send the word 'OFF' to shortcode 212.

What's My Mmail Address?

Your Mmail address will be your mobile number with country code (+44 for UK mobile numbers) combined with '@mmail.co.uk' e.g.+447711123456@mmail.co.uk.

How Much Will It Cost?

It will cost the same cost as any text message to send a message or request additional parts. Any messages received will be charged at 10p (Inc Vat).

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I don't know if you can do that through O2.

I'm wondering if there may be security issues with that idea, how about getting them to follow you on Twitter where they can get a message when you create a new article, with a direct link on Twitter to that article?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply perksie. A little more information might make my situation clearer...

My company have a back-office solution hosted in the USA. The hosting company have provided us with the "select your mobile provider and enter your mobile number to receive text alerts" fuctionality. The only trouble is that we are a UK company and the dropdown they have provided is populated with US mobile providers.

I have to admit that I have very little telco knowledge, and don't even know whether I am asking the question correctly. It could be that I am asking for the Email To SMS Gateway for o2 UK.

Message 3 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I can't find one listed for O2 UK:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

O2 did used to run a service called MMail but I don't know if it still works:

Mmail

With Mmail you can send and receive emails from your mobile without any complicated set up or subscription charges.

How Do I Send an Email?

You can send an email form your mobile in exactly the same way as sending a text message. The only difference is that you must type the email address then a space at the start of the text message. Then type your message and send it to shortcode 212.
e.g. 'your.name@o2.co.uk Hi there. Hope you're having a good day ...'.

How Do I Receive an Email?

For people to send an email to your mobile they must send it to your Mmail address - see below. You will receive the email in the form of a text message. The email can be as long as you like but it will be delivered in messages of up to 160 characters. The first message will also contain the sender's name, title of the email and the start of the email. In order to get the rest of the email you will need to request to read the next section. The number of the email you are reading will be shown at the bottom of the message. To read the next part of the email text the number of the email to shortcode 212.

How Can I Set Up Mmail?

Compose a text message with the word, 'ON' and send it to shortcode 212. Then simply follow the on-screen prompts. If, at any point, you want to cancel this service simply send the word 'OFF' to shortcode 212.

What's My Mmail Address?

Your Mmail address will be your mobile number with country code (+44 for UK mobile numbers) combined with '@mmail.co.uk' e.g.+447711123456@mmail.co.uk.

How Much Will It Cost?

It will cost the same cost as any text message to send a message or request additional parts. Any messages received will be charged at 10p (Inc Vat).

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks perksie. I now have it working. I had to text "EMAIL" to 2020, as texting "ON" to 212 didn't seem to do anything.

I have been going round in circles for weeks trying to get this working and you have made me a happy man!

Message 5 of 14

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

That's good, I'm glad if that helped. slight_smile

Bear in mind the possible costs involved with this.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Something went wrong there:  Person 1 asks how he can send an email and have it delivered as a text; Person 2 tells him how to do the opposite, i.e. send a text and get it delivered as an email, and there the subject ends ! !   Not really answered at all !

Message 7 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

This thread is two years old......

If you have a query it's best to start a new thread slight_smile

Message 8 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Person 1 asks how he can send an email and have it delivered as a text; 

That wasn't actually the original question at all, but regardless, so much in terms of email and sms gateways have changed in the 2 years since this question was originally asked, I wouldn't rely on the info still being accurate anyway.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Something went wrong there:  Person 1 asks how he can send an email and have it delivered as a text; Person 2 tells him how to do the opposite, i.e. send a text and get it delivered as an email, and there the subject ends ! !   Not really answered at all !

I think you will find the problem WAS solved for the original poster. ...? They certainly gave thanks and said it was sorted. However as jonsie has said, this thread is two years old....so not sure of the point you are making?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14