cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watchdog: How do I block premium numbers?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I block my phone from ever calling 09 premium rate numbers?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

The issue isn't me phoning premium rate numbers, the watchdog piece showed that mobile phones were being stolen, then the sim was used in a unlocked phone to contiually phone a premium rate number owned by the phone theives. This then gives the theif a phone and a few thousand pound kick back from his premium rate number.

A phone lock or phone security software will not work since the sim can be taken out and put in a different phone, a sim lock will work, but if you read the other thread on this you will see loads of people have managed to fully lock their phones and can't use them now. So the simplest way to stop this would be to bar being able to call 09 numbers on your account, then although your phone can be used to make calls, it cannot be used to line the thieves pockets at your expense though these premium numbers.

I hope this clears up the reasoning behind wanting this block now, and if I do ever feel the need to phone a premium number, I can get the block lifted.

Message 11 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nope, the easiest way is to put a pin number on the sim as has been the case for 2 decades.
Message 12 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
And trust me, whatever watchdog are scaremongering you with, the sim is 99% of the time the first thing discarded.

And no one has "locked" their phone. They simply need their puk code as provided on my o2 free for reasons such as this.
Message 13 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are two options available here and to be honest I do them BOTH.

1. Sim lock the sim card. It can't lock your phone fully because if you enter it in incorrectly you can ask o2 for your puk code then reset it. You would need to pass security over the phone with o2 to get your puk do is more secure.

2. Call Customer Services and ask them to put the bar on premium rate calls. It is free to do. To avoid a long wait I would recommend you call early morning. You could also ask Live Chat to put the premium rate bar on but personally I would rather phone. Live Chat have a chequered performance history.

As you can see. Quite easy to achieve your wishes.
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous also gives good advice here. I refuse to call premium rate (and that includes 0843, 0844, 0845, 0870) as there is no need for companies to have these numbers. More recently the Government has orders (non financial?????) Companies to offer 03 numbers as an alternative and to promote them as well so us customers are not fleeced.

If a company insists on expensive numbers. ...... They don't want my business. Simple as that.
Message 15 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Couldn't agree more. I always use overseas numbers for banks etc....he'll they don't know where I am when calling from my mobile . Even the tax office now uses 0300 numbers....

Message 16 of 22

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Smartphones can be wiped and locked remotely too. Unfortunately this can be circumvented, although a password protected bootloader if you have one is also a good preventative.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Smartphones can be wiped and locked remotely too. Unfortunately this can be circumvented, although a password protected bootloader if you have one is also a good preventative.

An app such as Lockwatch will give you that bootloader protection too....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 22

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@anticpated wrote:

An app such as Lockwatch will give you that bootloader protection too....

I use that here myself!

Message 19 of 22

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27670 Solutions
Very wise....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 22