Did you mean: 

Roaming in the US, and websites think I am in the UK still

charlick23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi

I have started to travel to the US often, I have a plan with the O2 inclusive travel bolt on, and one thing I keep finding is that when I try to access certain websites from the US it says something along the lines of "access to this website is restricted from your location because of GDPR" or "content is not available in your region". I also have problems with some apps loading properly and connecting seemingly for the same reason.

When I access the same websites and apps from my phone when connected to wifi, or hotspot onto a US based phone, I have no issues at all, which I'd assume this is because it uses the location of the wifi.  So it looks like it is a mobile data setting of some sort which is maybe routing traffic back through the UK or something.

Does anyone know if and how I can resolve this, as it is really frustrating and stops me being productive when I do not have wifi available?

Thanks

Current phone: iPhone 13 Pro
Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10207 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@charlick23 

Yes that is how mobile data works, as all data is routed back across the APN which is a UK APN, and as such nothing you can do to change this behaviour via settings. 

What you can do though is use a VPN and set the location to the US. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

madasaf1sh
  • 10207 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@charlick23 

Yes that is how mobile data works, as all data is routed back across the APN which is a UK APN, and as such nothing you can do to change this behaviour via settings. 

What you can do though is use a VPN and set the location to the US. 

Message 2 of 4

charlick23
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @madasaf1sh 

Good to know, although it is also really annoying.  I tried to use a VPN once too and its painful, I would assume because of the speed caps on data, adding a VPN just makes it worse, its slow enough as it is without adding more hoops to jump through 😂

Another question is over the connectivity of the data though, I often find it has very little to no connection, and turning airplane mode on and then off again manages to reconnect, but this is obviously annoying as sometimes people try to call me and it doesn't come through, any ideas on how I could improve this?

Current phone: iPhone 13 Pro
Message 3 of 4

madasaf1sh
  • 10207 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3013 Solutions

@charlick23 

That is down to 2 things 

1. The crap US networks usually AT&T 

2. Roaming Data speeds can be as slow as 0.5mbps. 

My advice is to get a US PAYG sim card for use in the US, I have one for when I go for work, and visiting and just put it in my dual sim phone and it works a treat.. (just stay away from AT&T) 

Message 4 of 4