Did you mean: 

Received a replacement Sim Card - Cannot call or Send messages

Xander
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Recently, I had to order a replacement SIM card (Pay & Go), to fit in my new Smartphone (Nokia 7.2).
My previous smartphone (Xiaomi Redmi S3) used a micro SIM, and the Nokia 7.2 only accepts Nano SIM cards (the norm nowadays I guess).

Since I currently live abroad, I had asked Customer Service if they could deactivate the old SIM and activate the new replacement SIM for me, since I could not go to an O2 shop in the UK. 

Once I received the replacement card, I set it up on my old phone to check if everything worked. I quickly found out that Data worked smoothly and I could receive messages from O2 confirming that I had topped up the new SIM.

However, that's where it ends. I could not send messages, call or receive calls.

I called Customer Services, and I can only guess that it's a situation that is not common, since we could not find a solution.

I was told to check that my smartphone was not locked to the country or a specific network provider. Which I am sure is not, especially the older smartphone which I used with the old O2 SIM card for 4 years without any issues.

I decided to check if the SIM card would work with an old LG GB102 (mobile phone) I kept, and to my surprise it did.

Once it worked, I placed the SIM card back into the Xiaomi and it worked too, and then I went on to place in the Nokia 7.2...and it worked there too. I could call and receive calls.

The odd part... is that it did not last long. After a while I would find myself in the same situation, not being able to place a call, receive a call, send a message. DATA still works though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Xander 

As you mention that you are currently living abroad.

The use of O2 services outside of UK may also be relevant:

What other restrictions are there?

You can only use our services for periodic travel (like holidays or short breaks) in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). Otherwise we may charge you for using our services in our Europe Zone (excluding the UK). If this has happened to you and you think it might be a mistake,call 202 from your mobile or 0344 809 0202 from any other phone.

Use of our services in our Europe Zone is subject to our fair usage policy.

The roaming coverage and  available services are subject to 3rd party network infrastructure and may be restricted. 

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 14

Xander
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 ,

I checked the link you sent https://www.imei.info/ and it works perfectly fine for me.

I was just wondering what should I look for to check if the phone has beed barred or not?

At this point I am just curious since the phone seems to be working well again.

Message 12 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Xander 

I think that link only shows if phone is barred in UK, so won't help as you are not in UK.

Anyway, if it's working now, it's unlikely to be barred, so must be something else on your account - maybe the length of time you have been out of the UK?

You're only allowed 63 days in a 4 month period before it starts to flag restrictions on your account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 14

Xander
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It stopped working after a week. Only data worked, which is not a big issue in our day and age with WhatsApp, etc.

I gave up trying though. slight_smile

Message 14 of 14