Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect O2 Travel charges applied

Floridaboy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have just returned from the USA and whilst there I noticed I was being charged for O2 Travel when I did not use it. My data and roaming were turned off. I did not make or receive any calls and did not send any texts. I contacted O2 and they said I had sent texts on various days but could not tell me to who. I 100% did not send any texts. They have agreed to refund me. I am very concerned about how this occurred and am worried it will happen again in May when I’m next out there. This has never happened in the past.

All my messaging was done using WhatsApp when connected to WiFi. I also accessed a couple of airline apps but again, only when connected to WiFi.

Can anyone shed any light on why I got charged? 

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Floridaboy 

There could be any number of reasons for your phone sending silent sms messages.

Most common are to register for iMessage and visual voicemail which is done automatically in the background.

If you are only using wifi, just remove your sim or put phone into airplane mode and then just connect to wifi.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Floridaboy 

There could be any number of reasons for your phone sending silent sms messages.

Most common are to register for iMessage and visual voicemail which is done automatically in the background.

If you are only using wifi, just remove your sim or put phone into airplane mode and then just connect to wifi.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Floridaboy
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

I don’t use iMessage as it’s an android phone and didn’t register for visual voicemail.

what are silent sms messages?

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Floridaboy 

They are messages that register for services.

Any of your apps could be sending them to let servers know where the phone is.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Floridaboy
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OK. Would turning off location services help?

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Floridaboy 

No, not at all.

You need to remove sim or use flight mode.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Floridaboy
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So makes O2 Travel useless as I won't be able to receive calls or texts!

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Unless you find and disable the app that is sending the texts, yes, but that is not under O2 control.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Roger49
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Same thing happened to me. Seems to be system services in background. Mobile data off as well as roaming yet still did 2mg twice hence a £5 a day charge 

Message 9 of 11

Chief
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Having exactly same issues!  O2 deny a problem but its well documented on these threads!

Message 10 of 11