cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Giffgaff reception same as o2? Priority given to o2 sims?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I'm looking for a definite answer whether the reception on my handset depends on whether I'm on o2 or giffgaff. I've googled for a bit and most posts etc suggest it's the same whatever network you're on. However, I had a "cold call" from o2 tempting me to join (where in fact I left for giffgaff last year after seven years of loyalty) and the seller insisted o2 sims get priority treatment by the system etc.

I appreciate there are a lot of variables affecting reception, and reception cannot be guaranteed whether there is or isn't some sort of differentiation between o2 and giffgaff built into the systems.

My experience is that I've had a number of situations recently where my personal Moto G 2014 on giffgaff had much poorer signal than my work Samsung B2710 on o2. But I can't tell for sure if it really is because my o2 sim gets priority over the giffgaff one.

I know I can try replacing my sim on giffgaff but I can't be bothered. If there really is some prioritization going on, I might as well switch altogether.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Giffgaff does use the O2 network @Anonymous. Some people notice no difference whatsoever....but others feel that reception is better with O2.....

It's offset in that giffgaff usually has better deals and packages than O2....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 10

version7point0
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 648 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 181 Solutions
@Cleoriff. When I worked in store giffgaff customers tended to say the opposite and that they received better signal quality, thinking back so did tesco users.

Could be a case of using their "bandwidth" so to speak more effectively our just that percentage of interactions having a better experience.
Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@version7point0 wrote:
@Cleoriff. When I worked in store giffgaff customers tended to say the opposite and that they received better signal quality, thinking back so did tesco users.

Could be a case of using their "bandwidth" so to speak more effectively our just that percentage of interactions having a better experience.

Could be @version7point0. I suppose it depends who you talk to and where they live and work? One of my friends uses giffgaff and is always complaining that his service isn't as good as mine.

However ...you will have spoken to more people than me so nothing is as it appears...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
MVNO's are further down the pecking order in terms of bandwidth and data speed.
Priority is given to O2 contracts, O2 PAYG then the MVNO's (giffgaff, Tesco, Lycamobile etc).
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I just typed a long response and the website gave me an error, not even a time out one...

Anyway, thank you all for your responses, clearly they are just as mixed as what I've heard and read so far.

I'm hoping I can get a proper answer I could bounce off giffgaff.

Is it true o2 reps sometimes answer questions on this forum? Or is it maybe something regulated by ofcom?

I wish I had challenged that cold call seller about this!
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There are 3 people on here working on behalf of o2 who will go and try to get answers to problems that we can't help with, but generally they aren't needed and not directly employed by o2.
Ofcom has nothing to do with the forum either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a definite answer whether the reception on my handset depends on whether I'm on o2 or giffgaff. I've googled for a bit and most posts etc suggest it's the same whatever network you're on. However, I had a "cold call" from o2 tempting me to join (where in fact I left for giffgaff last year after seven years of loyalty) and the seller insisted o2 sims get priority treatment by the system etc.

To directly answer this, in case of any doubt, yes, O2 sim cards will get priority over giffgaff.

You may only notice this is heavily populated areas though but if the network becomes congested, an o2 sim will get priority.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your responses, I guess I'm in the market for a new sim then.
@MI5 wrote:
Ofcom has nothing to do with the forum either.

I should have put a new line between the two sentences. I wouldn't expect ofcom to look at this forum. WHat I meant was I thought they might regulate whether big network sims can be prioritised. Does that make sense?

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ofcom issue guidelines which mainly fall in the networks favour.
So basically, for this instance they can do as they wish.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10