cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay as you go/basic phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an old basic Samsung (non iphone) which I top up as required.

I only use it for calls and texts, and don't spend much on it.

An O2 salesman phoned me yesterday, and was going on about paying £10 monthly, and getting a lot of calls and texts for my money, but I'm a little deaf and couldn't take in what he was on about (I'm 77)  He was quite persistent, as most salesmen are, and said I could sign up there and then, but I don't give bank details over the phone, even when i know what the offer is.  Especially when I have no way of knowing if he was genuine or not!

I've looked on the website, but can't see any offers for just calls and texts.  Am I missing out on a chance to get more minutes for my money?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Good for you! You did exactly the right thing not to give out your bank details over the phone. I wish more people had your smarts. We see time and time again incidences of people giving details to cold callers and winding up paying for something they didn't want or need. I agree with the advice the others have given you. Stay with what you have.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous That sounds like one of o2's trusted partners, they cold call you then if you sign up, they sneakily put you on a business tariff & not a consumer tariff then you have no right of cooling off period I think

Message 2 of 5

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

If what you have at the moment is good for you then don't change.

If you are spending less than £10 per month on your current Pay as you Go sim then do you really need anything more? 

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Stay as you are - The only person who would benefit is the salesman!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous Good for you! You did exactly the right thing not to give out your bank details over the phone. I wish more people had your smarts. We see time and time again incidences of people giving details to cold callers and winding up paying for something they didn't want or need. I agree with the advice the others have given you. Stay with what you have.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 5