cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 - anyone taken/taking the plunge?

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've been running Preview for developers on my phone without issue (Other than the minor delay updating to Cyan which wasn't an issue)

PFD has now been replaced by the 'Windows Insider Program' If you have a PC or tablet running Win7, 8, or 8.1 you can update to Windows 10 now (As off yesterday) Obviously it'll be Beta and you take your chances.

https://insider.windows.com/

Windows 10 for phones will be available in February, gotta feeling my trusty 925 will be taking the plunge.

Anyone already updated their PC/Tablet (If so what do you make of it?) or planning on updating their phone as soon as it's available?

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys I don't know what the reluctamce is in trying Windows 10 (PC) Run up a Virtual Machine and run it inside of you current operating system. If you don't like it then you can delete it. I have it running now and I am responding to the forum using it. Very stable no major bugs as yet. You do not need any help with Windows 10 its back to the start menu again. Some nice features and IF you want it Cortana is available when using the US Regional Settings. Will eventually become available to the remainder once testing is completed and the next update released. Give it a go.... Nothing to lose. 

Message 11 of 30

captainprice
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
I'm going to try windows 10 on my old 620 when it comes out in Feb I have signed up for phone insider and pfd not ready to risk it on my 735 don't mind the 620 as its a old phone
Message 12 of 30

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@captainprice wrote:
I'm going to try windows 10 on my old 620 when it comes out in Feb I have signed up for phone insider and pfd not ready to risk it on my 735 don't mind the 620 as its a old phone

I heard somewhere (Techie podcast AAWP) that it might be some time (If at all) before the Insider version becomes avail for 512Mb memory devices, same applies to 4Gb internal storage devices. Interested me because I also have a spare 620.

I've a desktop and a laptop both running Win7, and a Lumia 925. I like the sound of the universal apps and ideally I'd like to trial on my desktop and phone (Laptop is quite/very old) But I just don't have the time atm to phaff about updating my PC, maybe in a week or two.

Message 13 of 30

captainprice
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
If it comes out for the 620 I will report back and let you know I read as well that some of the older devices won't get windows 10 will have to wait and see what happens
Message 14 of 30

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Guys I don't know what the reluctamce is in trying Windows 10 (PC) Run up a Virtual Machine and run it inside of you current operating system. If you don't like it then you can delete it. I have it running now and I am responding to the forum using it. Very stable no major bugs as yet. You do not need any help with Windows 10 its back to the start menu again. Some nice features and IF you want it Cortana is available when using the US Regional Settings. Will eventually become available to the remainder once testing is completed and the next update released. Give it a go.... Nothing to lose. 

Good idea - doing that just now and setting up a VM to see how it goes. I've got quite a bit of software that I've just installed on Win8.1 and need to check if it works. Just remember if you're downloading it to select the ISO versions link in small text and not hit the great big upgrade button!

Message 15 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO Windows 10 is in reality just another UI shell in the sequence of Aero and Metro/'Modern' on the same kernel, plus DirectX12

I've installed the Windows 10 preview on an HP 8440p laptop and it needed some drivers. Just went to HP support and downloaded Windows 7 64 bit drivers from 2011 and they installed and are working fine.

The only mystery after the Windows 8/8.1 debacle is why it's taken Microsoft to long to scrap that UI!

Message 16 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

there`s  good advise on windowscentral on windows 10 insider for the phone

http://www.windowscentral.com/should-you-install-windows-10-technical-preview-your-phone

as for the pc version you will not be able to run windows  10 fully on todays pc as DX12 hardware has not be made yet, and microsoft admited to run DX12 will req yet to be released hardware.

Message 17 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

Windows Central has an article showing what looks to be Windows 10 for phones.

http://www.windowscentral.com/screenshots-claiming-showcase-windows-10-preview-phones-surface

Message 18 of 30

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

there`s  good advise on windowscentral on windows 10 insider for the phone

http://www.windowscentral.com/should-you-install-windows-10-technical-preview-your-phone

as for the pc version you will not be able to run windows  10 fully on todays pc as DX12 hardware has not be made yet, and microsoft admited to run DX12 will req yet to be released hardware.

Do you think you'll give it a go @Anonymous ?

If anyone else does, let us know what you think!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 19 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93183 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions