Did you mean: 

Unable to send or receive texts

Johnaldo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello,

I have  Nokia Lumia 610 running WP7.8 on O2 PayAndGo.

In the last week I have been unable to send or receive texts.

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be?

John

Message 1 of 60
59 REPLIES 59

Johnaldo
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Last resort before you send the phone for repair. Try forcing the phone onto the Vodafone network, it will give an error message.  Select o2 again. Switch the phone off, remove and replace the sim card, switch the phone on again and try it.

Ok, tried that but without success. But thanks for the suggestion.

I managed to get hold of an old phone and the SIM works ok in that.

So, either the new phone is broken and won't text, except immediately after the SIM has been taken out and replaced.

Or more likely there's a setting on the phone that I haven't found yet, and my money is on something to do with picture messaging.

Where can I find an expert on Nokia + MMS ?

John

Message 41 of 60

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
You could try a guru in an o2 store, the nokia forums or a nokia support call, but in all honesty, they aren't any settings to turn texts on and off on a windows phone....
I don't suppose you had an iPhone previously did you?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 42 of 60

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
However, if you do think it's a setting issue you could try a factory reset which will set everything back to default....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 43 of 60

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
Incidentally, have a look here - It seems you aren't the only one with this problem on a 610 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdservices/cant-send-sms-from-nokia-l...

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 44 of 60

Johnaldo
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
You could try a guru in an o2 store, the nokia forums or a nokia support call, but in all honesty, they aren't any settings to turn texts on and off on a windows phone....
I don't suppose you had an iPhone previously did you?
  • I went into the O2 store and the 12-year-old assisstant just kept repeating "reboot your phone", and saying she would send me settings by text (this to a phone that isn't receiving texts!!)

• I've tried a Nokia forum, but have not received any replies at all.

• I've never had an iphone.

John

Message 45 of 60

Johnaldo
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
However, if you do think it's a setting issue you could try a factory reset which will set everything back to default....

I may just do that ... presumably I need to copy all pics, docs, contacts first?

John

Message 46 of 60

Johnaldo
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Incidentally, have a look here - It seems you aren't the only one with this problem on a 610 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdservices/cant-send-sms-from-nokia-l...

Interesting reading ... I'm not going mad after all!

I tried making a call straight after texting, as suggested, but it didn't work.

John

Message 47 of 60

MI5
  • 145040 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
I found the link to the "common issue" after I suggested the reset.
Yes, you will need to make a full phone back up with your Zune software on PC, but having read the other reports, I'm not hopeful that it will fix the problem.
It appears to be a software issue with 7.8 and the 620 so a new phone may be the only permanent fix for it.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 48 of 60

Johnaldo
  • 30 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well, I seem to be having some success!

A couple of early posts suggested checking the Mobile Network settings. I did this and they were correct, except that there was nothing in the URL and Port boxes ... so I entered the correct settings, but they wouldn't stay, so I thought they were not needed.

Yesterday I checked again and the boxes were blank, so I re-entered the settings ...and now all worked fine ... texts flowing back and forth, and even some that had been sent to me days ago came in.

Now, 24 hours on, it's still working ... so I'm crossing my fingers and will report back in a few days to let you know if all is still well.

Thanks for all the advice.

John

Message 49 of 60

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Oh eureka @Johnaldo.....fingers crossed then mate....Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 50 of 60