cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 820 - Won't load past the Nokia Screen.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've had my Lumia for literally 12months and a couple of days, and I'm not going to lie, I hate every minute of it. The wireless charging is hopeless, the battery life is shocking, the camera is awful, the app's are still poor. But my hatred for the phone isn't why I'm posting today.

But yesterday whilst trying to use the camera the phone went weird. It would take a picture, and when i eventually got the camera to shut down, everything i tried opening an app it kept closing down immediately. So i tried shutting the phone down to see if a reboot helped, but it just got stuck on the 'goodbye' screen until i removed the battery. But now it won't restart. I've tried hard and soft resets, but i will not go past the Nokia screen. I left it all of last night to see if it would eventually sort itself out and load up but instead it was still the nokia screen, but the background had sort of cracks of colour going across it. So first of all I know the screen isn't broken, and second I am shocked the battery lasted that long it barely lasts 12hours normally. So since, the battery did fully drain this morning so it's on charge and seems to be charging fine. I've tried several more hard resets, and whilst the nokia screen loads normally again it still won't load past this screen.

Does anyone have and advice or tips to help me get the crappy phone working again. I'm not going to contact o2 online support, as I find them completely hopeless and I just get passed from the telephone and online cause neither know who should help. So i'll just be going to nokia for help next.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. sorry, but I'm not a very happy o2 customer anymore, and have ended up with another phone that I've had a lot of problems with and o2 are hopeless at helping. Roll on next January when I can leave.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It's well and truly screwed up - Back to Nokia is all you can do.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
How have you tried the resets?
Did you manage to get the spinning cogs on screen?
I agree that if all else fails you should go directly to Nokia and don't forget you get a 2 year warranty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Sometimes incremental updates change things and with it being a closed system it is harder to fix. A factory reset program would fix this and iron any gremlins.

Also try XDA developers forum for any extra help.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to remove the battery to get the phone to turn off after it got stuck on the goodbye screen for several hours.

But since then I have to remove the battery to get the nokia screen to turn off. Then I've been holding down the vol down, power and camera button to reset, it vibrates and attempts to awake up again. Then I'd read some where else to just hold Vol. down and power button. That seems to do the same thing. I don't get any cogs. I get the o2 screen flash up and it goes straight to the nokia screen and stays there.

I haven't done any updates on my phone recently last time I even updated any apps was several days ago and they were updates for app's i haven't used since.

I know the lumia black update is available but i've not done it yet.

Any other suggestions would be great, I have now contacted nokia, so we'll wait and see what they say. Also I didn't realise it was a 2yr warranty, I thought it was 12 months.

Message 4 of 16

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You're not going into recovery mode to start the reset, hence it's just stuck in a boot loop.
To start the reset you need to do the following:
1 - Hold volume down and tap the power button but keep holding vol down until you see a red ! on screen.
2 - Then push Volume up, volume down, power, volume down.
3 - Your phone will reset itself to factory settings. Two cogs will be shown during this process, it may take some time to complete.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It does sound like you've lost faith in the phone.

Perhaps when the issue is resolved with it you have the option to sell it and use the funds to purchase an alternative !

CEX is one option in the High street.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I lost faith in the phone in the first 2 weeks, but stuck with it thinking back to when i first had android and that was all new with a small app store. But it's just not impressed me, i've bought a samsung tab3 8'' which i pretty much use all the time now and just use my phone for calls and txts.

I've tried that and the only different screen I can get is a single cog next to a lightening bolt in white. which I assume means it needs more battery life. But it's been on charge now for over 5 hours (wired not using the surface charger). Then I can't get it to do anything else until I remove the battery to turn it off.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
It's well and truly screwed up - Back to Nokia is all you can do.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your advice and help anyway. I'll let you know what happens when nokia get back to me.

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

just downalod nsu and reinstall the software on the phone 

Message 10 of 16