cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New O2 Lumia 930 with O2 sim only sim - will VVM work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just moved to O2 and kept my Lumia 1020 so used the sim only tariff.  I was slightly disappointed to see Visual Voicemail wouldn't work, but fair enough. 

Then I droped my phone and cracked the screen, so I need to replace it.  Because I'm only a month into the 12 month sim only contract, I can't upgrade to a full Lumia 930/Pay monthly deal, but I can buy a Lumia 930 PAYG handset for about 400 quid.  But will this handset and sim combo give me the Visual Voicemail feature that I need?  it would be annoying if it didn't being an O2 phone and sim, and the online chat person said it would, but I have my suspicions.  A few people have stated here that it must be a PM handset on a particulalar tariff to work.  I don't mind paying the full amount for a new phone, but I do if the feature I most crave won't work.

I may just try and keep it going with a cracked screem unitl march when an upgrade will be available.

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Regarding the cracked screen - it may be worth checking any household insurance or bank account as some also offer cover. Excess fee's would typically apply and look at their T&C.

Ref the phone - a similar thread -> http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Devices-Nokia-Blackberry/Visual-Voicemail-on-Lumia-930-Not-Availa...
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous , what tariff are you on?

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

By the way, are you refering to TUgo Visual voice mail or the iphone visual voice mail?

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you go to www.giffgaff.com you can also buy a sim free Nokia 930 for £345.

You have to buy a goody bag (minimum £7.50) and you can cancel that after one month. Then you have a new 930 for £352.50 saving you almost £50.

Fyi Giffgaff is owned by o2.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous I'm guessing they mean the TUGo one as a Lumia womt have the iPhone one
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
me too but it doesnt hurt to ask wink , you would be surprised with what people would assume...
Message 7 of 10

tullyhubbert
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
If you go to www.giffgaff.com you can also buy a sim free Nokia 930 for £345.

AFAIK the phone has to have O2 firmware for VVM to work, check that out to be sure.

If I'm correct then phones supplied by GiffGaff, CPW etc won't work.

Another thing to consider is that although the 930 is a lovely phone it doen't have Glance screen (Like the OP's 1020) I'd find it hard to be without Glance now. An 830 would have been an alternative option only O2 don't supply them, therefore none with O2 firmware or VVM.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You are correct - You need an O2 Lumia with an O2 tariff and also an update to denim that O2 have provided to certain handsets only.
Chris_K provided a full list somewhere on the forum, but that was a while back so it might be worth you dropping him a PM now for an up to date set of data.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an unbranded L930 and I'm still waiting for VVM.  It was said to be coming in a separate future update, quite possibly alongside the Lumia Denim firmware which we're all still waiting on.  So if that is super important to you right now, make sure it's an O2 branded 930 which has it included.

Message 10 of 10