Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data in Europe

Caladh
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I bought a 5mb PAYG SIM this year to use in my TP Link Mobile router. It worked fine in the UK. However I got to France and it didn't work. I was advised by O2 Customer Services that it wouldn'tr work as I couldn't use it for "tethering" - it's in the T and C's. So does O2 do a product that I can use in my mobile router both in the UK and Europe ?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
O2 data only sims don't work at all abroad, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

Caladh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have a standard SIM as I was unable to obtain a "data only" one. I understand it is possible to use it in my Iphone and turn on sharing (tethering). However I don't want to do that as it uses lots of battery power. Looks like I need to go to another supplier.

Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@CaladhIf you want a data sim which works abroad, then you will get one from Three (3)

As long as it is set up in the UK, it will work abroad.

I know this as I have used one myself.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Caladh wrote:

I have a standard SIM as I was unable to obtain a "data only" one. I understand it is possible to use it in my Iphone and turn on sharing (tethering). However I don't want to do that as it uses lots of battery power. Looks like I need to go to another supplier.

In that case, check your settings to ensure roaming is switched on.

Also check your apn is correct.

There is only one for PAYG, which should be:

•  apn: payandgo.o2.co.uk
  • Username: payandgo
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 10

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Caladh, just wanted to check in case the data roaming and APN suggestion above had worked for you?

Message 6 of 10

Caladh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The SIM works fine in the UK. The issue with it is using in Euope in a tp-link MIFI router. I belive it would work ok abroad in a mobile/Iphone - I want to be able to use it as a router so I can connect several devices e.g Ipad and laptop (if required). 

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
So you probably need to set the apn in the router software.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Caladh
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As advised I was unable to use my router in France for data in the router. I am in discussion with Three to purchase a SIM that will work in Europe for data. I had made various changes to APN etc on the router to no avail. As far as I am concerned 02 do not allowing tethering outside the UK for their SIMS and make no provision to be able to use SIM/Data routers.

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Tethering is allowed but O2 data Sims will not work outside of the UK. That is the problem.
ie you can tether off a phone ok.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10