cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazing frustration - Amazon Fire Phone unlocking

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unlocking a replacement Amazon fire phone:

After three months of frustration with O2 customer service (and amazon as well, to a lesser extent)  where the core issue seems to be a lack of understanding (primarily language skills, even amongst the supervisors) . I'm speaking on live chat with a supervisor Deven, and all I get is the same phrase on loop "no clue about any unlocking for this phone yet".  I don't even get a hint that he has understood the issue

This is my timeline:

21/5/15: I bought an  Amazon fire phone on O2 Pay as you Go (From Amazon)
3/6/15: Amazon fire phone successfully unlocked with the O2 Handset Unlocking Form on the O2 website.  Used for a week on another network, no problems.
10/6/15: Phone was damaged. Replacement handset sent by Amazon, again O2 Pay as you Go.

Since then: I can't unlock the replacement handset with the O2 handset unlocking form. Constantly topping up my balance and trying again. Calling customer service, going in circles.... Getting sent from Amazon to O2 and vice versa.

In summary, my Amazon Fire phone was originally unlocked within two weeks of buying it.  I have been quoted the "12 month rule" for O2 unlocking Amazon fire phones. So if it was a glitch initially and my phone was unlocked prematurely, simple etiquette would have been to do the same thing again.  Otherwise I would have not got  a replacement handset.  

Now I keep mentioning this to the customer service folk and they keep saying "it has to be after one year".  I'm sorry, but if the handset was unlocked after two weeks, then the process should be the same for a replacement within a month.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The forms are handled manually by backroom staff so it would appear that your first unlock was put through by mistake.
You have 2 options now, either use a contract sim in your phone (will negate the 12 month rule) or raise a complaint with O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The forms are handled manually by backroom staff so it would appear that your first unlock was put through by mistake.
You have 2 options now, either use a contract sim in your phone (will negate the 12 month rule) or raise a complaint with O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your quick reply.

Would it be OK to use the email on the link you have sent me, or is this for complaints which have already been made:

complaintreviewservice@o2.com

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, that's fine to email them on that address.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help.!

Message 5 of 6

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

To be honest you were lucky in the first instance as payandgo IS subject to the 12 month rule. However, as it WAS unlocked you have every right to expect a replacement to be unlocked. Email them explaining the circumstances, the error  was theirs initially and they should put matters right. Don't forget to give a daytime contact number and expect up to 10 days for a decision.

Message 6 of 6