White Room Quiz Mon 04 Jan 2021 first WRQ of 2021

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to 

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

Today`s Quiz is the first White Room Quiz of 2021 

Instead of the usual eight questions, there are 10 questions

with five questions based on "old" - with one question from each of these categories

HISTORY   PEOPLE   PLACES   ART   FOOD & DRINK

and five questions based on "new" - with one question from each of these categories

GEOGRAPHY   LITERATURE   MUSIC   TV   SPORT

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo - with their answers between 12 noon today [Monday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Tuesday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff   @pgn   @jonsie   @MI5   @gmarkj   @Anonymous   @LukasB   @Martin-O2   @Marjo 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TEN QUESTIONS

There is no question is a QI-style question, in which the answer is not what most people think.

OLD-

Q1 HISTORY: The "Old Pretender" claimed the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland after the death

of his father in 1701 and tried, unsuccessfully, to gain the throne during the Jacobite

Rebellion of 1715.

What was the Old Pretender`s name? 

Q2 PEOPLE: The "Grand Old Man" was the name the working class gave to which UK Prime Minister

who was PM four times between 1867 and 1894?

Q3 PLACES: The "Old Man Of Stoor" is a pinnacle of rock on which British isle?

Q4 ART:       "The Old Guitarist" was painted by which artist in 1903-04?

Q5 FOOD & DRINK: "Old Speckled Hen" was first brewed in Abingdon in 1979 to celebrate what?

NEW -

Q6 GEOGRAPHY:  New Zealand`s highest mountain is known by what name by native Maoris?

Q7 LITERATURE:   "Brave New World" is an expression said to have been coined by Shakespeare.

In which Shakespeare play did the expression first appear?

Q8 MUSIC:  "New England" reached No 7 in the UK singles chart in 1985. Who recorded this version?

Q9 TV:         "The New Statesmen" was a 1980s UK sit-com. Who played the character Alan B`stard?

Q10 SPORT: New Zealand`s senior women`s national rugby team is known by what nickname?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Mon 04 Jan 2021] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tuesday 05 Jan 2021]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Wed 06 Jan.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Mon 04 Jan 2021] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tues 05 Jan 2021].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Tues 05 Jan will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" and take part in this quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers       answers       answers      answers 

golden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg     bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Golden          Silver          Bronze              Red

Thinker        Thinker       Thinker           Thinker 

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Gentle reminder @Anonymous  @pgn  @TheresaV  @Marjo and any member who would like to have a go at tackling the questions in this White Room Quiz,

there is still plenty of time - up to 11.59pm tonight [Tuesday] to pm me Mi-Amigo with your 10 answers.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Good luck

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Marjo 

pm with your 10 answers received

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 22 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @Anonymous 

pm with your 10 answers received

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 44

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

This was a tough one @Mi-Amigo ! grin 

Message 24 of 44

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35921 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions
Message 25 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn 

Love the gif - and optimism yahoo

pm with your 10 answers received - well before deadline thumbsup

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 26 of 44

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35921 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

Just hoping Stoor is actually Storr - seen it a number of times, visited a renowned distillery in the vicinity once! 👍

Message 27 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

btw thank you @TheresaV 

pm with one answer received early Monday. Apologies for not mentioning it at the time.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

OLD-

Q1 HISTORY: The "Old Pretender" claimed the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland after the death

of his father in 1701 and tried, unsuccessfully, to gain the throne during the Jacobite

Rebellion of 1715.

What was the Old Pretender`s name?

A1  James Stuart 

Q2 PEOPLE: The "Grand Old Man" was the name the working class gave to which UK Prime Minister

who was PM four times between 1867 and 1894?

A2  William Gladstone

Q3 PLACES: The "Old Man Of Stoor" is a pinnacle of rock on which British isle?

A3  Isle of Skye

Q4 ART:       "The Old Guitarist" was painted by which artist in 1903-04?

A4  Picasso

Q5 FOOD & DRINK: "Old Speckled Hen" was first brewed in Abingdon in 1979 to celebrate what?

A5  50th anniversary of MG car company

NEW -

Q6 GEOGRAPHY:  New Zealand`s highest mountain is known by what name by native Maoris?

A6  Aoraki 

Q7 LITERATURE:   "Brave New World" is an expression said to have been coined by Shakespeare.

In which Shakespeare play did the expression first appear?

A7  The Tempest

Q8 MUSIC:  "New England" reached No 7 in the UK singles chart in 1985. Who recorded this version?

A8  Kirsty McCall

Q9 TV:         "The New Statesmen" was a 1980s UK sit-com. Who played the character Alan B`stard?

A9  Rik Mayall

Q10 SPORT: New Zealand`s senior women`s national rugby team is known by what nickname?

A10  Black Ferns

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 29 of 44

Mi-Amigo
  • 25154 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS:

@MI5

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3   correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6   correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

Q10 correct - awarded star  plus, for 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@jonsie 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3  correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star   Q6  Taranaki - incorrect

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8  correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

Q10 correct - awarded star 

plus, for more than eight correct answers also awarded

silver-thinker.jpg

Silver Thinker

@Martin-O2 

Q1  correct - awarded star Q2 pass   Q3 Scotland - as Isle of Skye is in Scotland, I`ll award half star 

Q3  pass   Q4 FA Cup Final - incorrect   Q5 pass   Q6 Macbeth - incorrect   Q7 pass  Q8 pass

Q9 pass    Q10 pass

Total: one  star+ half star for one correct answer + one part correct answer

@TheresaV 

Q3 correct - awarded star [no other answers given]

Total: one star for one correct answer

@Cleoriff 

Q1   correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3   correct - awarded star 

Q4   correct - awarded star  Q5 correct - awarded star  Q6   correct - awarded star 

Q7   correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star  Q9 correct - awarded star 

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@gmarkj 

Q1 correct - awarded  star  Q2  correct - awarded star  Q3 correct - awarded star   Q4 pass  

Q5 correct - awarded star   Q6  pass  Q7 pass   Q8 pass  Q9 correct - awarded star 

Q10 correct - awarded star 

plus, for six correct also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg

Bronze Thinker

@LukasB 

Q1 Henry - incorrect   Q2 pass   Q3 correct - awarded star Q4 correct - awarded star 

Q5 pass      Q6 pass     Q7 pass   Q8 pass      Q9 pass             Q10 pass

Total: two  star for two correct answers

@Marjo 

Q1 pass  Q2 pass  Q3 Isle of Wight - incorrect  Q4 Rembrandt - incorrect  Q5 Spring - incorrect

Q6 Big Peak - incorrect   Q7 Romeo & Juliet - incorrect  Q8 U2 - incorrect

Q9 Alan Rickman - incorrect  Q10 pass

sorry, no star awarded this time

@Anonymous 

Q1 pass   Q2 pass   Q3 Isle of Arran - incorrect  Q4 Cezanne - incorrect  Q5 pass  Q6 pass   

Q7 correct - awarded star Q8 correct - awarded star Q9 correct - awarded star Q10 pass 

Total: three  star for three correct answers

@pgn 

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 30 of 44