White Room Quiz Mon 02 Aug 2021 2nd Anniversary

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Welcome to the Second Anniversary of

white-room-quiz2.png

There are two White Room Quizzes each week - one on Monday and one on Wednesday.

To celebrate the Second Anniversary of the White Room Quiz, instead of the usual eight questions - with two questions on each of four categories, this Second Anniversary of the White Room Quiz has 12 questions, with one question of each of these categories

HISTORY  PEOPLE   GEOGRAPHY   PLACES   SCIENCE   NATURE   SPACE   LITERATURE   MUSIC

MOVIES       TV             SPORT

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

Those wishing to take part must pm me - @Mi-Amigo  - with their answers between 12 noon today [Monday] and 11.59pm tomorrow [Tuesday]

I hope our regular quizzers

@Cleoriff  @pgn  @jonsie  @gmarkj   @MI5  @BobM  @TallTrees  @TheresaV  @Martin-O2  @LukasB 

and any member, who has taken part in the past or has never taken part, and new members

will join in with today`s White Room Quiz.

TODAY`S TWELVE QUESTIONS

- please note: to tie-in with the Second Anniversary, the questions are themed around "second"...

Q1 [HISTORY] Who was the second US President to be assassinated ?  

Q2 [PEOPLE]   Mary d`Este was the second wife of which King of England ?

Q3 [GEOGRAPHY] What is the second largest island of Wales ?

Q4 [PLACES]   What is the second tallest building in the UK ?

Q5 [SCIENCE]  For what was Sir Ronald Ross awarded the second Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1902 ?

Q6 [NATURE]  What is the second fastest mammal on land ?

Q7 [SPACE]     Which is the second largest planet, by mass, in our solar system ?

Q8 [LITERATURE]  What was the title of the second horror novel by Stephen King, published in  1975 ?

Q9 [MUSIC]    What was the title of the second studio album by rock band The Who ?

Q10 [MOVIES] What was the title of the movie which won the second Academy Award for Best Picture

in 1930 for film released between Aug 1928 and July 1929 ?

Q11 [TV]  Who played the second Dr Who in the TV series from Oct 1966 to June 1969 ?

Q12 [SPORT] Which country`s football team won the second FIFA World Cup in 1934 ?

The White Room Quiz is open to all members of the Community.

Those who want to take part must pm [private message] me [Mi-Amigo] with their answers between 12 noon today [Mon 02 August] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tuesday 03 August]

- allowing 36 hours to pm your answers.

Please do not post your answers on the thread.

The answers - and results for each player taking part - will be posted on morning of Wed 04 August.

THE RULES

Each member must pm [private message] their answers to me [Mi-Amigo] after 12 noon today [Mon 02 August 2020] and before 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Tues 03 August 2020].

No member is to post any answer on the thread.

Any answer received after 23.59 [11.59pm] on Tuesday 03 August will be declared void.

No googling, wiki, youtube search for answers.

The White Room Quiz is open to all members.

New members, who have recently joined the Community, and members who have not taken part before, are welcome to join the "regulars" with this week`s quiz

Each correct answer given by each member will be awarded a star .

In addition, the following trophies will be awarded for

12 correct      10 correct     8 correct     6 correct     4 correct

answers          answers       answers      answers      answers

diamond-thinker.jpggolden-thinker.jpg     silver-thinker.jpg    bronze-thinker-crop.jpg      red-thinker.jpg

Diamond         Golden         Silver         Bronze              Red

Thinker           Thinker       Thinker      Thinker           Thinker

Please feel free to post any comments on the questions - but not the answers - on this thread.

If you have any questions about the quiz, please ask and I will reply here.

Thank you everyone for your interest and for making the quiz so popular.

I hope everyone enjoys today`s White Room Quiz, and find it fun.

Good luck, everyone

@Mi-Amigo  

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn 

like the gif

pm with your 12 answers received - well before the deadline

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 21 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE ANSWERS:

Q1 [HISTORY] Who was the second US President to be assassinated ?  

A1    James Garfield

Q2 [PEOPLE]   Mary d`Este was the second wife of which King of England ?

A2    James II

Q3 [GEOGRAPHY] What is the second largest island of Wales ?

A3    Holy Is

Q4 [PLACES]   What is the second tallest building in the UK ?

A4    22 Bishopsgate [aka Helter Skelter or Pinnacle] in City of London 278m.

The tallest is The Shard 310m. 

Q5 [SCIENCE]  For what was Sir Ronald Ross awarded the second Nobel Prize for Medicine in 1902 ?

A5    showing malaria is carried by mosquitoes

Q6 [NATURE]  What is the second fastest mammal on land ?

A6     Pronghorn, antelope of N America.

Four gave the answer - antelope. As the proghorn is an antelope and as this quiz is one of the

hardest, I`ll be generous and accept "antelope" as a correct and also award a star for that. 

Q7 [SPACE]     Which is the second largest planet, by mass, in our solar system ?

A7    Saturn

Q8 [LITERATURE]  What was the title of the second horror novel by Stephen King, published in  1975 ?

A8    Salem`s Lot

Q9 [MUSIC]    What was the title of the second studio album by rock band The Who ?

A9    A Quick One

Q10 [MOVIES] What was the title of the movie which won the second Academy Award for Best Picture

in 1930 for film released between Aug 1928 and July 1929 ?

A10  Broadway Melody

Q11 [TV]  Who played the second Dr Who in the TV series from Oct 1966 to June 1969 ?

A11   Patrick Troughton

Q12 [SPORT] Which country`s football team won the second FIFA World Cup in 1934 ?

A12    Italy

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 22 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

THE RESULTS:

@gmarkj 

Q1 correct - awarded  star Q2 King Lukas - joy incorrect  Q3 Anglesey - incorrect

Q4 Helter Skelter - correct awarded star Q5 chocolate makes you sick joy incorrect

Q6 antelope - accepted awarded star  Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star

Q9 Theresa`s Tunes - joy incorrect   Q10 Ballad Of Martin & Chris joy - incorrect

Q11 correct - awarded star  Q12 correct - awarded star

plus for more than six correct answers also awarded

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg  

Bronze Thinker

@Cleoriff 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 22 Bishopsgate - correct - awarded star Q5 correct - awarded star 

Q6 Pronghorn correct - awarded star   Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star

Q9 correct - awarded star   Q10 correct - awarded starQ11 correct - awarded star   

Q12 correct - awarded star 

plus, for 12 correct answers, also awarded

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker

@MI5 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star   Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 Canary Wharf Tower [aka 1 Canada Square] 235m - incorrect   Q5 correct - awarded star 

Q6 antelope - accepted awarded star  Q7 correct - awarded star   Q8 correct - awarded star

Q9 correct - awarded star   Q10 correct - awarded starQ11 correct - awarded star   

plus, for more than 10 correct answers, also awarded

golden-thinker.jpg

Gold Thinker

@TheresaV 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 King Lukas joy - incorrect   Q3 pass   

Q4 Gherkin 180m - incorrect   Q5 pass  Q6 antelope - accepted awarded star 

Q7 correct - awarded starQ8 pass  Q9 pass  Q10 pass  Q11 pass

plus, for four correct answers also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@Martin-O2 

Q1 John F Kennedy - incorrect  Q2 pass  Q3 correct - awarded star 

Q4 1 Canada Square 235m - incorrect  Q5 correct - awarded star 

Q6 antelope - accepted awarded star  Q7 correct - awarded star 

Q8 pass  Q9 pass  Q10 pass  Q11 pass   Q12 Germany - incorrect

plus, for four correct answers also awarded

red-thinker.jpg

Red Thinker

@TallTrees 

Q1 correct - awarded star  Q2 correct - awarded star  Q3 Bardsey - incorrect

Q4 Gherkin 180m - incorrect  Q5 pass  Q6 rhino - incorrect  Q7 correct - awarded star

Q8 pass   Q9 pass   Q10 pass   Q11 pass  Q12 Brazil - incorrect

Total - three starfor three correct answers

@pgn 

Q4 Pinnacle - correct - awarded star Q5 correct - awarded star 

Q6 Pronghorn correct - awarded star   Q7 correct - awarded star  Q8 correct - awarded star

plus, for 12 correct answers, also awarded

diamond-thinker.jpg

Diamond Thinker

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 23 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

AWARDS:

diamond-thinker.jpgDiamond Thinker for 12 correct answers = @Cleoriff  @pgn 

golden-thinker.jpg         Gold Thinker   + star for 11 correct answers = @MI5  

bronze-thinker-crop.jpg        Bronze Thinker + star for 7 correct answers = @gmarkj 

red-thinker.jpg          Red Thinker for 4 correct answers = @TheresaV and @Martin-O2  

star  star  star                    for 3 correct answers = @TallTrees  

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DIAMOND THINKERS - @Cleoriff  and @pgn 

Well done

@MI5           - Gold Thinker + star for 11 correct answers

@gmarkj      - Bronze Thinker + star for 7 correct answers

@TheresaV   - Red Thinker for 4 correct answers

@Martin-O2 - Red Thinker for 4 correct answers

@TallTrees    - three star    for 3 correct answers

Thank you everyone who took part in this Second Anniversary White Room Quiz. I hope you enjoyed it and will take part in today`s [Wednesday], which will be another of the popular "Odd Questions" editions of 8 questions - with one question on each of these subjects

LANGUAGES  CARS  DANCE  AIRPORT CODES  MOTORWAYS  POSTCODES  MEASUREMENTS  CLOTHES

which will be posted on a separate thread shortly

@Mi-Amigo 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 24 of 36

BobM
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 4304 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well done everyone and sorry I missed it.

Will try to stay upright long enough to take part in the next one.

Message 25 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Well I nearly went for Canary Wharf, 1 Canada Square - stroke of luck, given The Pinnacle is also known as TwentyTwo" - given all the seconds in this quiz. Well done all, it was a stinker of a quiz, tbh, @Mi-Amigo 😖👍🤣
I see airport codes on today's quiz, much more at home with those, provided it is not some outback strip in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains... 😉

Message 26 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Happy with that. Well done all and thanks.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 27 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Sorry you missed out on the Second Anniversary WRQ @BobM and hope you`ll be able to take part in today`s "Odd Questions" edition, which is now up on a separate thread.

@pgn 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz and well done on your award.

As you said, this quiz was a bit of a stinker [the second tallest building being exceptionally difficult] - but, as it`s the Second Anniversary of WRQ and with a Diamond Thinker up for grabs for 12 correct answers, I thought I would test out the quizzers.

@MI5 

Pleased you enjoyed the quiz and well done on your award. 

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 28 of 36

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

I absolutely LOVE that @gmarkj and I gave the same answer to question 2 rofl rofl rofl 

And also thinking about recording an album now, just to call it Theresa's tunes grin

This was great @Mi-Amigo, thanks so much! Very happy with my Red Thinker but reaching higher next time wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 29 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

More than happy. Just lucky this week. Q10 and 12 were pure guesses. Also Bishopsgate, I dithered over!!

Probably one of the most difficult ones @Mi-Amigo? Great nontheless. Well done everyone.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 36