Did you mean: 

Valentine's Day around the World

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi guys smiling

It’s Monday! You’re probably asking yourself why I’m so excited about that. But it’s not a regular Monday: To my joy (and hopefully also to yours) we are officially kicking off Love Week on the O2 Community today! heartheartheart And Love Week isn’t just about the upcoming (and sometimes heavily dreaded) Valentine’s Day - Instead we decided to do something special every day of this week, together with the help of some of our amazing members, in order to give you a week full of fun, excitement and - most importantly - LOVE! 

Let it begin… with a little travel abroad. Saying little, but actually today I want to talk about how Valentine’s Day is in Japan. And even though we often think that celebratory days like these are universal, there are often a lot of different ways these are interpreted and celebrated.

In Japan for example, it’s customary for women to give a gift, often made of handmade chocolates, to all of the males they know as friends or colleagues as a sign of respect. This gift is called Giri-Choco (義理チョコ) which literally translates to “obligatory chocolate”. This tradition is however getting less and less popular, as it clearly doesn’t make much sense to be pressured into giving a gift in order not to offend someone. upside_down

pexels-c-technical-6716597.jpg

But what about couples? Still, chocolate (they sure know what they are doing)! But for your significant other it is Honmei-Choco (本命チョコ) which is basically the opposite of the above and means the real thing. These are usually made from more expensive ingredients and thus of much higher quality than Giri-Choco. Of course. Women don’t receive anything from their male counterparts on Valentine’s Day by the way, they instead have to wait until March the 14th, the so called “White Day”, on which men reciprocate the gesture with a gift to their partners.

Do you have similar traditions at home? Do you like to give little gifts to your friends or family to express your love? I really like the idea of giving chocolates on Valentine’s Day that I made myself, but I would rather do it all year round and get (hopefully more) back joy Tell me about your traditions at home and in your friendship circle that you enjoy as much as I enjoy my chocolate! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

They're called Godiva Chocolates, because on the morning of 15-Feb, as you awake, the first thing you say, if the celebration went well:

• "God I've a headache, never again..."

innocentrofl

A mystery card, a bunch of flowers, and a bottle of bubbly with the evening possibly Oriental, or Indian, meal 🍾

Rootin', tootin', yeah... cowboy

That's another way to intepret it @pgn joy Since Valentine's is a Sunday I should probably hold myself back but I'm definitely going with a nice meal accompanied by a bottle of red (or two joy)

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 31 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
I will like them @TheresaV
Godiva Belgian chocolates with hazlenut praline filling..
Gorgeous 😍 I definitely deserve these😊

Oh wow I haven't tried those! You definitely have to tell me how you like them! I'm close to getting some myself joy And YES - Well deserved @TallTrees smiling

signature

Message 32 of 34

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35916 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1589 Solutions

@TheresaV wrote:

@pgn wrote:

They're called Godiva Chocolates, because on the morning of 15-Feb, as you awake, the first thing you say, if the celebration went well:

innocentrofl

That's another way to intepret it @pgn joy Since Valentine's is a Sunday I should probably hold myself back but I'm definitely going with a nice meal accompanied by a bottle of red (or two joy)

Well, one of the joys of lockdown is you can nurse the hangover gently this year @TheresaV 🤕😉

Every cloud and all that 😖😇

Message 33 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@TheresaV wrote:

@pgn wrote:

innocentrofl

Well, one of the joys of lockdown is you can nurse the hangover gently this year @TheresaV 🤕😉

Every cloud and all that 😖😇

That's true. I will nurse it with even more wine on Monday afternoon joy 

signature

Message 34 of 34