Did you mean: 

Valentine's Day around the World

TheresaV
Former Staff
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

Hi guys smiling

It’s Monday! You’re probably asking yourself why I’m so excited about that. But it’s not a regular Monday: To my joy (and hopefully also to yours) we are officially kicking off Love Week on the O2 Community today! heartheartheart And Love Week isn’t just about the upcoming (and sometimes heavily dreaded) Valentine’s Day - Instead we decided to do something special every day of this week, together with the help of some of our amazing members, in order to give you a week full of fun, excitement and - most importantly - LOVE! 

Let it begin… with a little travel abroad. Saying little, but actually today I want to talk about how Valentine’s Day is in Japan. And even though we often think that celebratory days like these are universal, there are often a lot of different ways these are interpreted and celebrated.

In Japan for example, it’s customary for women to give a gift, often made of handmade chocolates, to all of the males they know as friends or colleagues as a sign of respect. This gift is called Giri-Choco (義理チョコ) which literally translates to “obligatory chocolate”. This tradition is however getting less and less popular, as it clearly doesn’t make much sense to be pressured into giving a gift in order not to offend someone. upside_down

pexels-c-technical-6716597.jpg

But what about couples? Still, chocolate (they sure know what they are doing)! But for your significant other it is Honmei-Choco (本命チョコ) which is basically the opposite of the above and means the real thing. These are usually made from more expensive ingredients and thus of much higher quality than Giri-Choco. Of course. Women don’t receive anything from their male counterparts on Valentine’s Day by the way, they instead have to wait until March the 14th, the so called “White Day”, on which men reciprocate the gesture with a gift to their partners.

Do you have similar traditions at home? Do you like to give little gifts to your friends or family to express your love? I really like the idea of giving chocolates on Valentine’s Day that I made myself, but I would rather do it all year round and get (hopefully more) back joy Tell me about your traditions at home and in your friendship circle that you enjoy as much as I enjoy my chocolate! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:
@LukasB behave yourself...your recipe for chocolate treats ... 😍 please...
DARK chocolate 🍫 absolutely wonderful @TheresaV

For that you will have to wait until Sunday wink 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 11 of 34

Anonymous
Not applicable

My GF hinted she would like a fur coat a while back.

So for Valantine's Day I have bought her a Donkey Jacket, hope she likes it.

Please Note: No donkeys were harmed in the making of this jacket.

Message 12 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff You will be pleased to hear that a lot of men gift a luxury designer bag back to them on White Day joy 

That's true. I think a nice meal cooked for the significant other (or good friend) says more than words smiling Glad that Lewis Hamilton gave you his gift early joy Maybe that or giving some chocolate to yourself is an option too @Mi-Amigo wink

signature

Message 13 of 34

TheresaV
  • 1930 Posts
  • 80 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

My GF hinted she would like a fur coat a while back.

So for Valantine's Day I have bought her a Donkey Jacket, hope she likes it.

Please Note: No donkeys were harmed in the making of this jacket.

joyjoyjoyjoyjoy

signature

Message 14 of 34

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
@TheresaV
That's right nothing wrong in treating yourself.. at least you'll get your favourite chock.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 34

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Brilliant @Anonymous ☺

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 16 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Thailand has adopted many Western traditions so Valentine's Day is also traditional there

Except the lady normally gives a single Ratchaphruek which is a golden coloured flower

The men are expected to bestow all manner of gold objects for their beloved

Don't you just love virtual gifts!hugging

Message 17 of 34

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
Wow sounds expensive @jonsie
Expect the girls may have had a hand in the bestowing requirements 😅

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 18 of 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Without a doubt.
The last time I actually spent Valentines day with her it cost me a 20,000 THB gold necklace (Approx. £500)
Five days later I had the motor-cycle accident...a bad week all round!
Message 19 of 34

TallTrees
  • 10769 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Aw @jonsie
The worst to have an accident that changes your life.
Valentine's day memories not good for you.
Personally I'm not a special day person..
Joining in here for the fun of it..at home every day is what I make of it. Try to be a positive person...difficult sometimes ..
I expect you might order a box of FRY's chocolate creme ☺

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 20 of 34