Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded to iPhone 6 Plus from Lumia 1520: An on Going Review

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Today I took the plung and decided to speed to refresh and upgrade to an iPhone 6 Plus (stupid name) in shiney silver. I fondled the 6+ and its younger brother in the Apple store for a good hour before I made my decision but I am 100% confident I made the right choice. BTW i was about to go with Vodafone but they messed up twice and lost me, i'm still with O2.

Inital Views compaired to my beloved Lumia 1520.

Its actually smaller by only a CM all around but it feels much better in my hand. The curved edges and rounded sides make it not only nicer to hold but more natural, it feels like an iPhone should be. To acompany this it actually feels lighter in my hand, really light, but the first thing I did was order an case because I will drop it. The screen is amazing, bright, clear and equally as good as the Lumia. Another great thing I noticed is the Touch ID works first time, EVERYTIME! my girlfriend had so many problems with her 5S so removed it. 

Feel in my hand and pocket in comparion:

In my hand its feels very comfortable and not awkward at all. The Lumia did feel a bit, heavy, clumbsy and awkward at times. In my pocket I constantly forget it is there, seriously. The Lumia has pointed edges soit would stick in my leg from time to time while the 6+ has none of this. 

Have I tried to bend them:

Lumia - NO

6 Plus - NO

Will i try and bend them:

Shut up!

Features I will miss on my Lumia:

Glance screen

Double tap to wake up

Wireless charging. 

At this moment in time I am still getting used to the new features but I will ask @Toby for edit rights and update you on the following points in comparision to the Lumia:

-Battery

-Camera

- extra features

Anything else you want to know? add below and I will try it... NO BENDING! 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Thanks. I have google music, do they have in IOS app?
iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 11 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yep, that's the one slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 21

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thank you. I mainly use iTunes match but this will be great when it runs out.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 14 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good review/comparison.

Not sure if you read my mini review on the 6 Plus, but I pre ordered a 6 and 6 Plus from Apple to see which I preferred. I mention my findings, conclusion between the two.

I too find the 6 Plus surprisingly comfortable and easy to hold. The thin body and the curved edges definitely make it feel like this.

I find too that the 6 Plus fits comfortably in my pocket, again the thinness and lightness definitely help.

I had the 5s before the 6 Plus and never had any Touch ID issues. I think the way to ensure accurate operation is to move the thumb, finger only a small amount when you are storing the print. Moving it too much from one position to the next results in more unreliable operation.

Message 15 of 21

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Really nice job L_W_Ward.

Great to see comparisons!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 16 of 21

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

So it has been almost two weeks so here is my report. Below are the features I said I would miss from my Lumia and my current feeling on them:

Glance screen - what screen?

Double tap to wake up - eh?

Wireless charging - hmmmmm

As you can see i don't really miss these feature and I have grown to love this phone in every way. Its such as nice design, its display is bright and colourfull and the battery WOW. The most I get from this was two and a half days usage. I could have got more but I really needed to finish an episode of Jack Taylor on Netflix while I was out and about. Sadly I was so engrossed I forgot to take a screen shot, below is one with 25% left. 

IMG_0097.PNG

All the extra features of this phone are great and they add a lot more funcitonality to the phone. On top of this I am still impressed that the phone doen't feel massive in my hand of pocket like my Lumia did. In one way or another I was reminded the Lumia was there, this gives nothing away. 

I am addicted to the healthkit app. Its such a simple design but I love how it pulls all the information into one place. My walking, eating, running and boozing habbits are all there. I am looking forward to the extra features of Apple Pay and I know this feature has been around for a while but I really hope Apple make it mainstream. I hope in a year I can leave my wallet at home. The Lumia has a wallet but this was completly forgotten about. 

The camera is great, not as good as the Lumia's 20MP but still good. With this in mind I have found that I use the camera on the iPhone more and on a daily basis. I think this is due to the ease of inegration with other apps. 

Originally I was wanting an black/grey model but I know these show marks up so I went for the Silver, am I happy with it? yes. I think this adds more character to the design. A few of my friends own 5's and 5s's and they have decided to upgrade to the plus, GITS, based on playing with my phone. 

Another feature I have fallen for is TouchID. Now that apps can integrate the feature I think this is a really usefull tool and i've not had one "try again". 

Overall I am very impressed with this phone, it feels like the iPhone Apple should have released a long time ago. Have I bent it yet? NO, have I tried, NO. Have I sat on it yet, NO. Are these the most common questions I get asked about when friends and family see the phone, yes 😞 

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 17 of 21

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

So it has been almost two weeks so here is my report. Below are the features I said I would miss from my Lumia and my current feeling on them:

Glance screen - what screen?

Double tap to wake up - eh?

Wireless charging - hmmmmm

As you can see i don't really miss these feature and I have grown to love this phone in every way. Its such as nice design, its display is bright and colourful and the battery WOW. The most I get from this was two and a half days usage. I could have got more but I really needed to finish an episode of Jack Taylor on Netflix while I was out and about. Sadly I was so engrossed I forgot to take a screen shot, below is one with 25% left. 

IMG_0097.PNG

All the extra features of this phone are great and they add a lot more functionality to the phone. On top of this I am still impressed that the phone doesn't feel massive in my hand of pocket like my Lumia did. In one way or another I was reminded the Lumia was there, this gives nothing away. 

I am addicted to the healthkit app. Its such a simple design but I love how it pulls all the information into one place. My walking, eating, running and boozing habits are all there. I am looking forward to the extra features of Apple Pay and I know this feature has been around for a while but I really hope Apple make it mainstream. I hope in a year I can leave my wallet at home. The Lumia has a wallet but this was completely forgotten about. 

The camera is great, not as good as the Lumia's 20MP but still good. With this in mind I have found that I use the camera on the iPhone more and on a daily basis. I think this is due to the ease of integration with other apps. 

Originally I was wanting an black/grey model but I know these show marks up so I went for the Silver, am I happy with it? yes. I think this adds more character to the design. A few of my friends own 5's and 5s's and they have decided to upgrade to the plus, GITS, based on playing with my phone. 

Another feature I have fallen for is TouchID. Now that apps can integrate the feature I think this is a really useful tool and i've not had one "try again". 

Overall I am very impressed with this phone, it feels like the iPhone Apple should have released a long time ago. Have I bent it yet? NO, have I tried, NO. Have I sat on it yet, NO. Are these the most common questions I get asked about when friends and family see the phone, yes 😞 

Edit: I also forgot to say that I sold my phone for £150 than any recycle place was willing to give. This covered the cost of paying off my current refresh and my new toy.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 18 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good report Liam. You don't seem to be missing your other phone too much..
Thanks for posting I enjoyed reading it...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 21

L_W_Ward
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Good report Liam. You don't seem to be missing your other phone too much..
Thanks for posting I enjoyed reading it...:smileywink:

What phone was that?

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 20 of 21