cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UK Government employees just can't keep hold of their mobiles and laptops

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2019/07/17/dev-exit-for-misplaced-government-mobile-devices/

Can we really trust them with anything?

I really hope if they've lost a high end mobile device like an iPhone or S10 it gets replaced by a really cheap, function over form device as punishment or it gets taken out of their salary.

Both too much to hope for.

It's not like it's their money they are spending, this stuff really makes me angry and then there's the security aspect of course.

There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's the taxpayer.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122383 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous 

That makes for very grim reading!

UK government staff lost 508 mobile and laptop devices between January and April this year, according to the results of a freedom-of-information (FOI) request from mobile security firm MobileIron.

I see the Home Office refused to respond so it could be even higher.

I agree, the security risk is very high....and of course the tax payer will bear the cost of replacement.

Pretty poor if honest. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Wow. That is a scary number - it works out to more than 4 EVERY DAY that are lost.
You would hope that there is some sort of sanction against them, but in reality it is not very likely...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 6

JAZZ-trad
Level 13: Prompter
  • 890 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Terrible @Anonymous
the Gvt never takes responsibility for anything individually or collectively even though some decisions can be devastating the ordinary person has to wear it.
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's this couldn't care less attitude that spills over into politics and some of the mind-numbing decisions made in the House of Commons. These phones should be taken from saleries and not be a goverment perk.

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous 

That makes for very grim reading!

UK government staff lost 508 mobile and laptop devices between January and April this year, according to the results of a freedom-of-information (FOI) request from mobile security firm MobileIron.

I see the Home Office refused to respond so it could be even higher.

I agree, the security risk is very high....and of course the tax payer will bear the cost of replacement.

Pretty poor if honest. Evil

@Cleoriff 

People complain at work that we enforce mobile device management even if they just want to access their work e-mail on their own and I have to point out that it's to protect company data, same goes for whole disk encryption on laptops which requests a password before they even get near Windows as they complain about that too.

Let's just hope these devices are properly encrypted and they haven't left a post it note with the password on attached, you might laugh but have seen that happen at work too when a laptop that isn't working has been handed to me.

Message 6 of 6