Did you mean: 

Tuna 🐟

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys,

2nd May is World Tuna Day. According to the United Nations (you can read more here), it's observed in order to highlight the importance of sustainably managed fish stocks in achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.  It's also linked to the reversal of the decline in the health of the Ocean to ensure sustainable management of marine life. Tuna is a significant source of food all around the world, and is now threatened by overwhelming demand.

I've collected a few tuna-related facts below from the UN info page about World Tuna Day as well as elsewhere on the internet and thought you might find them interesting! slight_smile

🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

1. There's approximately 40 species of tuna (and other tuna-like species) in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans and in the Mediterranean Sea. 
  2. Tuna have been known to team up with dolphins for protection from sharks. In addition to sharks, also humans and orca hunt tuna.
  3. A tuna fish is warm-blooded and a carnivore. They eat different types of fish, such as mackarel, and also squid.
  4. The two main products that drive tuna production are traditional canned tuna and sashimi/sushi. 
  5. Almost 7.7 million metric tonnes of tuna and tuna-like species are caught every year.
  6. Tunas are over-fished, and as a result, their numbers have decreased over 90% since the beginning of the 20th century.
  7. Tuna fish is often bigger in length than anyone in the Community Team is tall! The largest specimen of tuna that has been recorded was 21 feet long, weighing 1600 pounds!
  8. If fish were like cars, tuna would be the Ferraris of the ocean" --> I read this on the WWF website where they describe the speed and body of tuna.
  9. They are very fast swimmers: some of them can swim as fast as 43 miles per hour!
  10. During their mating season, a female tuna can have 30 million eggs, of which only 2 will survive into adulthood. The eggs are food to other marine creatures.
  11. Of those who do reach adulthood, their average life span is 15-30 years!
  12. Tuna needs to constantly keep swimming, because it breathes oxygen from the water.

🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

I feel a Track the Tuna treasure hunt coming on... 28 tuna have taken refuge in various topics...

🐟

🤣

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

No offence intended but there seems to be a day for everything under the sun now and the days actually become meaningless because they all roll into one.

Unfortunately I don't observe these special days because there shouldn't be special days, these things should be observed every day but not by us.

It's the government, heads of industry and the people who could care less as long as they are making money. These are the people who need to stop and think. Do the voters who elect their MP really think they lobby for their policies in Parliament? Not in my experience. Promises, promises, only ever promises.

Fishermen will happily go out in their trawlers and as long as they can get away with it, species will be overfished. Its all about the money at the end of the day. Only the government can bring about change but MPs talk the talk and do naff all. 

Message 3 of 12

blissgirl
Level 33: Firestarter
  • 6978 Posts
  • 46 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Ditto that what @jonsie says
iPhone 15 plus 128Gb light pink (with Vodafone) slight_smile
Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Totally support what @jonsie  has said above.

Seas are over fished.

Japan has deliberately withdrawn from the IWC agreement (Whaling) and has resumed whaling in their waters.

I realise whales are NOT Tuna but the same concerns apply.

In fact if you google 'Tuna Fishing' you are met with a variety of articles telling you how to do it. Numerous countries take allow people to charter boats to fish tuna for sport.

It seems no-one is concerned about Tuna and can fish for them to their hearts content. devil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I totally agree with what @jonsie says.

We the consumer don't help, how many like their tuna sandwich or salad. I admit I do. But what you have posted @Marjo has put me right off both. Perhaps if consumers started voting with their shopping carts and stopped buying tuna, like I intend doing, there'd be less money to be made so, over time, less tuna caught.

I know, unfortunately, it won't happen. But we have to start somewhere and I'll speak to my friends, who'll speak to theirs and on and on. Maybe, just maybe I can get something started. Who knows but if you don't ask you don't get. And certainly it won't hurt. Hey, it may even do some good.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 6 of 12

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Couldn't agree more with the statement that @jonsie  made ~ it is too difficult to bat on own.

We will plunder everthing that comes along and especially the Fishermen 

they never put anything back, they just plunder.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 7 of 12

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I agree 100% with @jonsie ; and thank @Cleoriff  for highlighting the issue re-Japan resuming whaling.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 8 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

I feel a Track the Tuna treasure hunt coming on... 28 tuna have taken refuge in various topics...

🐟

🤣

Well that one fell flat... confounded

Whistle

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@pgn wrote:

🐟

🤣

Well that one fell flat... confounded

Whistle

Probably because I thought 'I hope the hell we don't' @pgn  joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12