Did you mean: 

Today is international cat day!

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Today is international cat day! 

As many of you know I'm a big fan of kitties so to celebrate international cat day I've gathered some amazing and interesting cat facts from across the Internet. Feel free to add any unusual cat facts of your own below. wink

• Cats sleep for two-thirds – almost 70% – of their lives, usually spending between 13 and 16 hours of the day asleep.

• There are over 500 million domestic cats in the world.

• A group of cats is called a “clowder.

• A cat’s hearing is better than a dog’s. And a cat can hear high-frequency sounds up to two octaves higher than a human.

• When a cat chases its prey, it keeps its head level. Dogs and humans bob their heads up and down.

• Isaac Newton invented the cat flap. Newton was experimenting in a pitch-black room. Spithead, one of his cats, kept opening the door and wrecking his experiment. The cat flap kept both Newton and Spithead happy.

• A cat almost never meows at another cat, mostly just humans. Cats typically will spit, purr, and hiss at other cats. 

• All cats have claws, and all except the cheetah sheath them when at rest.

• A cat’s nose pad is ridged with a unique pattern, just like the fingerprint of a human.

• Cats don’t have sweat glands over their bodies like humans do. Instead, they sweat only through their paws.

• The richest cat is Blackie who was left £15 million by his owner, Ben Rea.

• A cat has the ability to jump up to six times its length.

• The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a “bezoar.

• Approximately 40,000 people are bitten by cats in the U.S. annually.

• Domestic cats purr at a frequency of 20 to 30 vibrations per second.

• A cat can travel at a top speed of approximately 31 mph (49 km) over a short distance.

cat facts.jpg

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Who won ?......don't say the cat !
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 30

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 @Beenherebefore Haha I pretty sure the cat population is measured by poop in gardens Smiley Very Happy

@Chattymuch All 3 of mine got a stomach bug once. Wasn't a fun time but shares in the carpet cleaner brand I use shot through the roof! 

@jonsie Ahh that's brilliant! Just play around the cat Smiley Very Happy

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!

signature

Message 22 of 30

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Martin-O2 Laminate flooring stops that sort of 'accident' being a problem. .....I have it in every downstairs room and it's a godsend. Not just for  the cats, I might add!! Any type of spillage or walked in mud is just mopped up. Job done...Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 30

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Martin-O2 Laminate flooring stops that sort of 'accident' being a problem. .....I have it in every downstairs room and it's a godsend. Not just for  the cats, I might add!! Any type of spillage or walked in mud is just mopped up. Job done...Dance

And there you have the advantage of a hairy cat: a self-cleaning mop!

Message 24 of 30

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff Yes luckily I have hard floors downstairs, unfortunately the cats seem to prefer being sick upstairs slight_frown

@sheepdog Haha they do give it a little polish when the skid across the floor Smiley Very Happy

signature

Message 25 of 30

Chattymuch
Level 3: Thinker
  • 50 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

I have laminate on the bottom floor and tiles in the kitchen and bathroom, they will move off those to barf on the carpet.

They even come inside - avoid the laminate and then barf on the stairs carpet and then go back outside!

One of mine has the Cat version of IBS 😞

I work for O2 but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Telefonica"
Message 26 of 30

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

When one of our cats (Bilbo or Choots ) were being sick it was a matter of picking them up by the scruff of the neck and gently hurling them into the back garden....LOL

Message 27 of 30

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

When one of our cats (Bilbo or Choots ) were being sick it was a matter of picking them up by the scruff of the neck and gently hurling them into the back garden....LOL

Didn't that spray vomit around the place ?

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 28 of 30

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Chattymuch Yep they do seem to prefer the carpet. I think they just like to have you clean up after them Smiley Very Happy

@jonsie @Beenherebefore Not if your quick enough! It tends to take them a minute to get going so if your on the ball you can get them to a safe zone. 

signature

Message 29 of 30

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I find that just trails the vomit all over the place.......as they are hurtling...or should that be 'hurling'?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 30