Did you mean: 

Today is Global Recycling Day

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions
REDUCE. RE-USE. RECYCLE.

Today is Global Recycling Day. What is that, exactly? It's a day organised by The Global Recycling Foundation to bring attention to reycling and alert world leaders that a joined up approach to recycling is urgently needed. It also seeks to ask people across the planet to think resource, not waste, when it comes to the goods around us.

What is E-waste and why is it a problem?
E-waste is a term used for any electronic or electrical equipment nearing it's end of 'useful life' and is made up of chemicals that if not disposed of correctly can be harmful to both people and the environment.

What can we all do to help?
There are a number of ways we can responsibly recycle E-Waste, but the tips below focus on how we can recycle and help others at the same time.
  1. Video Games and Games Consoles: These can be donated to Get Well Gamers UK who gift these to hospitals and hospices across the UK to bring joy to children and young people.
  2. Laptops/iPads/Keyboards/Mice/USBs/Charging Cables/Headphones: The Turing Trust accept donations of all these items (and more) which are then used to help empower disadvantaged communities in other countries by providing them with IT equipment.
  3. Televisions: Little Lives UK are a children's charity who accept donations of televisions (and other electronic items) which are then donated to refugee centres and disadvantaged children.
  4. Mobile Devices: Unused mobile devices can be donated to our very own Community Calling campaign which supports the most vulnerable who are digitally disconnected. You can read more about how O2 are supporting local communities by clicking the link above.

Faulty device?
Outside of the above options, if you have mobile phones, tablets or wearables that perhaps no longer works or are faulty, then you can of course use O2 Recycle to send your device to us for it to be safely and responsibly recycled.

What about O2's normal waste?
We posted about this last year if you'd like to read more, but the short version is that our dry recycling (plastic bottles and cans for example) is processed into bales that then get turned into useful items like garden furniture and fleece clothing. The leftover residual waste is then eventually turned into aggregate for the construction industry.

If you have any of your own tips for recycling e-waste, whether it's while helping others or to do your part for the environment, then please share with us in the comments below. Likewise, if you have any general recycling tips that we could all do at home, let us know below.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hi @Chris_K
I am proud to say that
1. I took my lap tops to official recycle ♻️
2. I took my old mobiles to official recycle ♻️
3. I took my old TVs to official recycle ♻️
4. All cables are put into recycle ♻️
5. Light tubes, bulbs, etc ♻️
6. Old unrepairable small electrical items ♻️
7. My kitchen is completely refurbished and not pulled out to the dump...very happy with this looks fab too.
8. We have a full recycling facility provided by our Council here with advice if needed ♻️
9. As much as possible is used even to make bird boxes out of left over timber. ♻️
10. All Garden waste is recycled to make compost ♻️
11. Food scraps ♻️ officially by council
12. Items are repaired if possible and not replaced.
13. Trying to save power any items that can be hand done I.e. can openers are not electric.
I am learning all the time.
I like the "pioneer" style anyway.
Of course we are not totally environmentally friendly but trying.
I agree far too much of everything is discarded.
Recycle ♻️

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 2 of 5

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I threw some old blinds that I swapped with next doors into the back of the housing trust's rubbish wagon.

I trust they will be properley recycled....

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do what I can where I can, but i'm always interested in new ways to do more!
Message 4 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

With charity shops being closed during lockdown, we have quite a lot of stuff to recycle when they re-open!

We donated a fully working/data wiped laptop and tablet to 2 local schools.

Donated a working TV to my eldest son

Used the local council for advice about recycling unwanted electrical items

Our local tip has a shop which takes a variety of clothes/equipment.

Garden waste has a 2 weekly collection here.

Two mobiles donated to my son for him and his partner.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 5