Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There's low points and then....

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
...There's Apple, openly wanting to keep a terrorists mobile data secret.
http://news.sky.com/story/1643343/apple-ordered-to-help-crack-shooters-phone

Sorry, but invasion of privacy can suck my extremities when it comes to idiotic nutjobs, killing innocent people under the false banner of a sky fairy.
That phone should be unlocked as soon as physically possible and I cannot believe any self respecting tech firm in the USA of all places, chooses a terrorists security to take some kind of moral high ground.
Apple, you are scum.
Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Absolutely unbelievable. Then added  this statement when trying to take the moral high ground...

Apple boss Tim Cook said in a statement that the move would "threaten the security of our customers". FGS

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 70

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Wouldn't threaten anyone's security if apple kept the cracker tool locked up at cupertino and only ever used it by judge orders.
Message 3 of 70

Cleoriff
  • 123095 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Agree.... but my point was more about the fact Tim Cook didn't seem to give a damn about all other customers if he was risking their lives by not allowing the terror suspects phones to be unlocked

He was, by default, giving them immunity...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 70

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

And every one of them will buy an iPhone and enable 2nd layer security, safe in the knowledge that they are safely covered by Apple securing their data 

Message 5 of 70

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Maybe the reason iphones are the popular choice for psychos, nutjobs and terrorists....

Message 6 of 70

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Apple are sticking with those who have money, wouldn't see a terrorist putting on a non authorised third party screen...... They just buy a new iPhone wink
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 7 of 70

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

What exactly is second layer security? As you all most of you know I'm a new iPhone user so I'm still getting used to it. But, I'm a big believer in securing my devices so if they're stolen it's as hard as possible for the scumbag to use it.

Case in point when my 4s was stolen and eventually returned by the police, the idiot thief couldn't unlock it and had been using it as an iPod (even fixed the speaker) for months.... (this is why I never got used to an iPhone although technically I've owned one before).

Back to the topic; I do think Apple are being ridiculous on this, they say once the programme has been made it can then be used over and over. If it's locked up like you say and only ever used in cases where a warrant is issued I don't see the problem... It certainly doesn't make them look like they want to help in the fight against terrorism, in fact it seems they want to advertise the fact that an iPhone is the choice phone for those bloody murderers!!!

Meh!

Message 8 of 70

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Depends really on what the definition of a terrorist becomes over time in order to get the master key. Governments have a nasty habit of redefining terms in favour of whatever they want to. Once done, there is no point to encryption if the government can decrypt at will - watch for the "interests of public safety" court orders appearing that will give them the right to tap anyone worldwide regardless as you'll soon discover, all your data is sitting in US based datacenters which will take precedence over your own countries laws.

And its not just Apple - Blackberry (who've already had this problem in Pakistan), Google, Microsoft and any phone manufacturer are going to be affected by the decision which ultimately does affect us. 

Message 9 of 70

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I'd say the two extremists blowing away the entire office in the name of a recognised nutjob army would definitely come under any judgement.
Message 10 of 70