Did you mean: 

The White Room Thursday Quiz - 26 Sept 2019

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @Marjo [as @EmilieT is away], is

@AnnieM   

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who was the first, officially acknowledged, Prince of Wales?

Q2 [music]: What was the third album in what is known as David Bowie`s "Berlin Trilogy"?

Q3 [words]: What is lalaphobia a fear of?

Q4 [games]: How many "spots", in total, on two standard dice used in board games?

Q5 [geography]: Which is the only city in the county of Cornwall in England?

Q6 [science]: What does a lactometer measure? 

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts [as @pgn did last week]; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 26 September 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 27 September 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @AnnieM 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Thanks @pgn for spotting a typo - my apologies. Thankfully noticed before entries can be made...

Q3 should read - What is lalophobia a fear of? [not lalaphobia] 

That makes more sense now, @Mi-Amigo  - I bid 4 no trumps yahoo

Message 11 of 26

pgn
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I've worked out the meaning of life....

Nah, the letters on the Scrabble game spelled out "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?" LOL

Notwithstanding that there are only 2 "Y" tiles in a standard Scrabble game containing 100 tiles.Rolleys

Y_.jpg

Message 12 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

pgn
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

From "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", @jonsie :

20**Personal info** 22_30_57-the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy - How did Douglas Adams choose the Ultimate .png

Message 14 of 26

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I`ve bumped this, in the hope that @AnnieM will see it before posting her answers....

@pgn wrote: I think one of the qs has a typo in - but 3 I can get, 4 if that's a typo in... [oops] 

Difficult, @AnnieM

Thanks @pgn for spotting a typo - my apologies. Thankfully noticed before entries can be made...

Q3 should read - What is lalophobia a fear of? [not lalaphobia] 

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 16 of 26

AnnieM
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 114 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, @Mi-Amigo

I see some of you have been having fun with the answer to:

Q4 [games]: How many "spots", in total, on two standard dice used in board games?

That is 42

Now, I will either surprise myself or make a complete fool of myself with the rest...

Funnily enough, I was reading about this recently after discussing royal titles with a friend. I think it may have been Edward I?

Q2 [music]: What was the third album in what is known as David Bowie`s "Berlin Trilogy"?

I have absolutely no idea! I’ll take a wild stab in the dark and say Heroes (but only because I don’t know many of his album titles and I don’t think it would be Black Star or Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars).

Q3 [words]: What is lalophobia a fear of?

Lalophagia (or something like it) is, I think, an inability to talk, so I’ll take a guess at a fear of talking?

The only likely place I can think of is Truro

It has to be to do with milk... a device to measure the protein quality of milk before it can be sold

I’ll look forward to seeing the real answers tomorrow. laughing

Message 17 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You may be lucky enough to see the answers TODAY @AnnieM wink

@Mi-Amigo  tends to give the answers a few hours after they have been posted by the victim errmmm contestant. LOL

Saves everyone hanging around biting their nails... Bow

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 26

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

You may be lucky enough to see the answers TODAY @AnnieM wink

@Mi-Amigo  tends to give the answers a few hours after they have been posted by the victim errmmm contestant. LOL

Saves everyone hanging around biting their nails... Bow

Thanks @Cleoriff 

As @AnnieM gave her answers in the early hours of this morning and so as not to keep the "regulars", who are playing along, waiting, I will give the answers to this week`s White Room Thursday Quiz now

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 19 of 26

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The results:

Answers given by @AnnieM 

A4 That is 42

- correct = awarded star

A1 Funnily enough, I was reading about this recently after discussing royal titles with a friend. I think it may have been Edward I?

- incorrect. This is the QI-style question. Most people assume it was Edward I [or his son, Edward].

The correct answer is Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, second son of Gruffudd ap Llywelyn, who was officially acknowledged as Prince of Wales by Henry III in the Treaty of Montgomery in 1267, which established the autonymous federal principality. From 1277 to 1282, Edward I faced the opposition of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd in Wales. Following the death of Llywelyn in 1282, Edward I extended English administration and law to Wales under the Statute of Rhuddan of 1284, which gave Edward I legal administration of the territories of Llwelyn ap Gruffudd and new government centres were established. Edward, son of Edward I, was born in Caernarfon in 1284 and given the title Prince of Wales in 1301 - 34 years after Llywelyn had been acknowledged as Prince of Wales.     

A2. I have absolutely no idea! I’ll take a wild stab in the dark and say Heroes (but only because I don’t know many of his album titles and I don’t think it would be Black Star or Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars).

- incorrect. The correct answer is Lodger. But, in fairness, as Heroes was second album in the "Berlin Trilogy" [Low was the first], I will award a half star.  

Q3 [words]: What is lalophobia a fear of?

A3. Lalophagia (or something like it) is, I think, an inability to talk, so I’ll take a guess at a fear of talking?

- correct = awarded star

A5. The only likely place I can think of is Truro.

- correct = awarded star 

A6. It has to be to do with milk... a device to measure the protein quality of milk before it can be sold

- correct = awarded star

Well done @AnnieM - you are awarded star star star star and a half stars.

How did those playing along do? Did anyone get Q1 right? Please feel free to post comments and feedback. Thanks everyone for playing. I hope you enjoyed it.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 20 of 26