Level 47: Going Places
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT, is

@pgn   

The six questions are:

Q1 [people]: Who was the mother of Edward VI, king of England?

Q2 [history]: What colour was the first Model T Ford motor car?

Q3 [geography]: Where is the Albert canal?

Q4 [numbers]: What number did the Roman letter Z represent in medieaval times?

Q5 [literature]: Who sang "Soup of the evening, beautiful soup" in Lewis Carroll`s Alice in Wonderland?

Q6 [Olympics]: What events did Ireland win its first official Olympic medals in? 

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and answer.

You can post one, or more, answer at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] on Thursday 19 September 2019.

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted on Friday 20 September 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @pgn 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

Remember the old adage, "always re-read the question"? Yes, well 👌🤔

My thoughts exactly! Particularly as one of those questions is not what you first think.... (imo)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@pgn wrote:

Remember the old adage, "always re-read the question"? Yes, well 👌🤔

My thoughts exactly! Particularly as one of those questions is not what you first think.... (imo)

@pgn and @Cleoriff 

Never a truer word from both of you. And that`s all I`m saying at this point Zipped

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 12 of 36

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Breaking the answer up a touch, as time is limited today, 4Qs answered here:

I think that was Lady Jane Seymour, one of the wives of Henry VIII. 

Actually not "any colour you like so long as it is black" - it was probably green with black mudgaurds/arches/bumpers. The Models preceding T were available in dark red, blue, green, so it makes sense that T not be only black slight_smile 

Q5 [literature]: Who sang "Soup of the evening, beautiful soup" in Lewis Carroll`s Alice in Wonderland?

The Mock Turtle, of course. 

Q6 [Olympics]: What events did Ireland win its first official Olympic medals in?

Ireland only had its own team after separation from UK, 1920 was first games where the Irish tricolor appeared I believe. Ireland's team won Gold for the Hammer in 1924 - I hope that is the answer here. 

Q3 and Q4 I will answer in due course, liquid encouragement needed in those cases. 

Message 13 of 36

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Actually, my answer to Q6, was only partly correct:

It was the 1928 Olympics where Ireland, competing in its own right rather than as part of the British/Irish team under the Union Flag, won the Gold for the Hammer throwing event. Ah well.

Not sure why @Mi-Amigo asks for "events", they only won one medal in Amsterdam that Olympic year.

Answers to Q3 and, I hope, Q4, to come shortly.

Message 14 of 36

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Q4 [numbers]: What number did the Roman letter Z represent in medieaval times?

Actually 2 numbers for Z:

First, the medieval one - Z used to represent 2000, I have no idea why, as MM makes much more sense.

And one I have always wondered about - Z represents "sep", septimus or 7. Why wonder? Well, look at the (from the UK perspective) Continental "7" , with a dash through the upright leg: 7 <- like this.  Isn't it like a Z where the lower horizontal has floated upwards?

Message 15 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I knew I would never get the numbers one Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 36

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

I like this quiz format, @Mi-Amigo-- the floor is (almost, @Cleoriff!:smileywink:) all in the contestant's control for a full day! Bouncy

Now the answer to the final question:

Q3 [geography]: Where is the Albert canal?

Assuming it's nothing to do with Prince Albert (!), I'm going to say the canal is part of a King Albert's legacy - and given the strategic importance of the lowlands of Europe during the wars, I am going for Albert I of Belgium, from 1910s or so to the mid-1930s. Is the Albert Canal is in Belgium? 

Anyway, my 6 answers are given - I fumbled the Olympics one, with the date, so no Silver Thinker this time, I doubt. 

Message 17 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn for your answers.

Rather than keep you, and all those playing along, waiting until Friday, I will give the results in the next few minutes.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 18 of 36

pgn
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

Thank you @pgn for your answers.

Rather than keep you, and all those playing along, waiting until Friday, I will give the results in the next few minutes.

That would be nice, thank you @Mi-Amigo

Message 19 of 36

Mi-Amigo
  • 25022 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The results

Answers given by @pgn in the order submitted:

A1 I think that was Lady Jane Seymour, one of the wives of Henry VIII.

- correct = awarded star 

A2 Actually not "any colour you like so long as it is black" - it was probably green with black mudgaurds/arches/bumpers. The Models preceding T were available in dark red, blue, green, so it makes sense that T not be only black slight_smile

- correct = awarded star 

A5 The Mock Turtle, of course.

- correct = awarded star 

A6 Ireland only had its own team after separation from UK, 1920 was first games where the Irish tricolor appeared I believe. Ireland's team won Gold for the Hammer in 1924 - I hope that is the answer here.... [and added] Actually, my answer to Q6, was only partly correct:
A6 It was the 1928 Olympics where Ireland, competing in its own right rather than as part of the British/Irish team under the Union Flag, won the Gold for the Hammer throwing event. Ah well.
Not sure why @Mi-Amigo asks for "events", they only won one medal in Amsterdam that Olympic year.

- hammer is incorrect; nor is the 1928 Olympics correct.

The reason why I said "events", and said "official" in the question, were clues to the correct answer =

Gold, silver and bronze medals were not officially awarded until the 1908 London Olympics.

Ireland, as the Irish Free State, first won official Olympic medals at the 1924 Paris Olympics, when John Butler Yeats won silver for his painting "The Liffey Swim" and Oliver St John Gogarty won bronze for his poem "Ode To Yalleann". So the correct answer is painting and poetry.

At the 1924 Paris Olymics, the US won gold and silver, and Gt Britain won bronze in the hammer. However, in fairness, as @pgn did get the year [1924] correct I will award a half star

The answers to the remaining questions to follow, with the total awards...

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 20 of 36