Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

question-room-thurs-quiz2.png

This week`s contestant, chosen at random by @EmilieT is

@pgn 

The six questions are:

Q1 [history]: Who was the youngest person to assume the office of President of the United States of America?

Q2 [words]: What is an abomasum?

Q3 [games]: Where does the secret passage from the Lounge lead to in Waddington`s Cluedo in the 1960s edition? 

Q4 [science]: Which two letters form the chemical symbol for mercury?

Q5 [music]: What was the original title of The Kink`s song, before the lyrics and title were changed before release to "Waterloo Sunset"?

Q6 [tv sitcom]: Who, according to the lyrics of the title song of TV sitcom "Only Fools And Horses" did Derek "Del Boy" Trotter get "Some Trevor Francis tracksuits" from ?

Rules:

You can only give one answer to each question.

You can answer the questions in any order - please copy and paste the question and add your answer.

You can post all of the answers together in one posts; or post one, or more, answer in several posts [as you - @pgn - did previously]; at any time between 00.01 [one minute after midnight] and 23.59 [11.59pm] tomorrow [Thursday] 10 October 2019. Please note: a second answer to any question cannot be given in these subsequent posts. 

Any answer posted before 00.01 or after 23.59 will be declared void.

Please - no googling, Wiki, social media, Youtube in search of the answers.

The results, with the correct answers, will be posted either late on Thursday 17 October [after answers have been submitted] or on Friday morning 18 October 2019.

Each correct answer will be awarded a star

If you get all six questions correct, you will be awarded the Silver Thinker

Image result for silver thinker

All members, including those who have already been a contestant or have put their names forward as contestants and those who are considering being a future contestant, are welcome to join in and play along - by making their own list of questions and seeing how many they can get right - but, please do not post your answers on the thread.

Thank you for your interest and good luck @pgn 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

That's a nice one @Mi-Amigo I can see a possible 4-5. I wouldn't have a clue about Cluedo rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 25

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25133 Posts
  • 809 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's a nice one @Mi-Amigo I can see a possible 4-5. I wouldn't have a clue about Cluedo rofl

Thanks @Cleoriff .

Cluedo takes me back to being a teenager and getting banned from playing by my dad as I kept solving it too early [in his opinion] joy 

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 3 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Thanks @Cleoriff .

Cluedo takes me back to being a teenager and getting banned from playing by my dad as I kept solving it too early [in his opinion] joy 

I have only played it once in my life!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 25

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions
OK... Early yet for answers, but I need sleep...

4 dead certs, 1 p'raps, and 1 that is worthy of a good night's rest to gather my thoughts. 🤣

More on the morrow.
Message 5 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Best of luck @pgn and good night wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 25

jonsie
  • 93174 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

pgn
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions
OK, first answer:

Q4 [science]: Which two letters form the chemical symbol for mercury?

Simple one, as all chemical elements have a unique one- or two-letter IUPAC symbol, the first always capitalised, the second, if a second letter is used for that element, always in lower case:

Hg - from the Greek for Mercury: hydrargyrum.

Oh, and:

Q2 [words]: What is an abomasum?

It's the 4th, I think, stomach of any ruminant, eg, a cow. The 3rd is the omasum. Can't remember the other two - but it's what makes ruminants so successful at using grass as their food source (and the other two stomach chambers are great at generating the greenhouse gases in such volumes that makes us wonder if perhaps rearing cattle for food is such a wise idea after all).

More later as time avails.
Message 8 of 25

pgn
  • 35768 Posts
  • 227 Topics
  • 1582 Solutions

2 mins waiting for something to do its stuff so:

Q6 [tv sitcom]: Who, according to the lyrics of the title song of TV sitcom "Only Fools And Horses" did Derek "Del Boy" Trotter get "Some Trevor Francis tracksuits" from ?

With this theme rolling around my head most of the day, the answer is:

"From a mush in Shepherd's Bush."

Great theme tune, great comedy - good question. 

Q1 [history]: Who was the youngest person to assume the office of President of the United States of America?

This is a real headscratcher - I first thought Clinton... Then I thought Obama...  Then Kennedy... And I figured it had to be a bit further back, so I am going to take a stab at... 

Theodore Roosevelt, who assumed the presidency from McKinley died as a result of shotgun injuries. 

And if it WAS JFK, well, fair dos.

More later. 

Message 9 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122800 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I bet The Silver Thinker is on it's way to your house @pgn 

Don't mess the last two up now rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket