Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech that didn't take off in 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys!

And happy New Year!

I found an article that points out 5 tech developments that didn't really take off as planned in 2015. The list includes curved TV screens and smartwatches...

Do you agree with the list? if so, can you think of any more arguments why these technologies didn't work as planned? and do you think they will take off in 2016?

Here's the article

http://www.tgdaily.com/web/134666-5-big-things-that-didnt-take-off-in-2015

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

With regards to home automation I can already switch the central heating on from anywhere in the world. We live in a world where advancement is galloping along. We can do things our ancestors couldn't ever imagine and as such, we can only dream of the world our grandchildren will grow up in and accept as the normality of things.

Message 11 of 13

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I'd love to get involved in home automation but the cost of rewiring etc just doesn't make it worth it. Once there is a universal app (no windows pun intended) that can control everything, you will see this take off in a big way.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 12 of 13

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@PhoneChanger wrote:
Interesting article.

I agree with some of those, but not all.

Home Automation - This is building year on year, as more manufacturers get involved, I can see 2016/17 being the year we truly see this take off

Smartwatches - While we have seen many more come to market, I agree that they haven't quite caught on yet (give Apple a few months for their next iteration)

Curved TVs - Agree, these have been around for some time now, but are only just coming into most peoples acceptable price range, though the majority of manufactures make less curved displays than flat ones

Curved Phone Screens - Agree

Electric Cars - Agree, the mainstream cost is currently too high for these to catch on

You've hit the problem of the article right there: cost. We're all too accustomed with early adopter pricing so nobody except the early ones will buy it as we all know the cost will come down in 18 months or so. Especially when manufacturers start to obsolete the products in order to force through adoption is when these devices start gaining momentum. It would be interesting to see a retrospective review of this article 2015 in 2017 to actually judge it.

Personally till my device breaks down, I'm not replacing it which I think is the same for many people which is why takeup is slower these days than before where things were shiny and groundbreaking not a minor iteration masked as innovative.

Message 13 of 13