Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tech that didn't take off in 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys!

And happy New Year!

I found an article that points out 5 tech developments that didn't really take off as planned in 2015. The list includes curved TV screens and smartwatches...

Do you agree with the list? if so, can you think of any more arguments why these technologies didn't work as planned? and do you think they will take off in 2016?

Here's the article

http://www.tgdaily.com/web/134666-5-big-things-that-didnt-take-off-in-2015

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Not sure about the section that states 'Smartwatches didn't take off'.....I actually thought they did. (Particularly those that looked like watches?) I could be wrong ....but that does surprise me....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I disagree with every item on the list.
1, because in a comparison to previous "failed" tech, they very much did take off.
2, they have all been around for years.

The annoying one on the list, "smartwatches" come off it, they have been around years, just because apple are late to the party doesn't make it a new thing and Curved tvs account for 1 in 4 TV sales which is far better than the "successful" 1 in 6 3d TV (based on 2year into release)
Message 3 of 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I think that the expectation of the author is rather beyond reality.

For instance, if they expected curved TVs to completely replace flat panels then yes they would be correct. 

However, as pointed out by our most learned colleague, 1 in 4 TVs currently sold are curved. So maybe not market leader, but certainly doing ok. 

Curved phones are a little more niche - I think the only manufacturer producing them is LG (if you exclude the Galaxy S6 Edge), so that would be right. But the mobile phone is very much a personal choice, and the curved models tend to be priced and produced for the upper end of the market so are not likely to see a massive proportion of the custom.

As for smartwatches, they have most certainly done well. If you search for smartwatch on Amazon there are almost 15,000 results. Wouldn't exactly say that was a failure...

As for electric vehicles, there are a growing number of companies that make these. Tesla might be foremost among them, but they are not alone. And some of them are really rather good - BMW i8 - even if you are not a fan of the company!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 13

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
The BMW i8 is a thing of beauty,
Message 5 of 13

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

It certainly is...DSC_0055.JPG

and i wouldn't mind a go in one either!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

It certainly is...DSC_0055.JPG

and i wouldn't mind a go in one either!!

Just drive it round my way.....my neighbours would have their curtains twitching at that @gmarkj Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

that was at a car expo in london - basically various manufacturers showing off latest and most expensive models.

funnily enough there was a couple of the tesla's there. they are a weird looking thing from the inside - instead of a "normal" centre console there is just a massive touchscreen (about 12-14 inches) in a portrait orientation. from that you control everything from HP to media and navigation. take a look at this page for the tesla-3

Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Interesting article.

I agree with some of those, but not all.

Home Automation - This is building year on year, as more manufacturers get involved, I can see 2016/17 being the year we truly see this take off

Smartwatches - While we have seen many more come to market, I agree that they haven't quite caught on yet (give Apple a few months for their next iteration)

Curved TVs - Agree, these have been around for some time now, but are only just coming into most peoples acceptable price range, though the majority of manufactures make less curved displays than flat ones

Curved Phone Screens - Agree

Electric Cars - Agree, the mainstream cost is currently too high for these to catch on
Message 10 of 13