Summer Flora and Fauna

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

🌼 🐝 🦋🐛🐞🕸

April to June

April my Red Mason Bees start to emerge after a long long time in their silk cocoon. I put them out when it's about 14C . They pollinate all the fruit trees, apples pears plums they come and go to their home tubes where they lay an egg with pollen and nectar place a mud plug in between each until they reach the end of the tube and on they go until June. 

This year a dear little bee also used the tubes.  They do a similar thing in July, hoped to see more but one tube very welcome.

I took a photo of the tubes and Spot the odd one out!

20230629_115702.jpg

 All these bees only do good no harm to any one and they are so special. Our friend the leaf cutter bee moved in and I couldn't be more thrilled.

They pollinate the summer flowers and vegetable flowers.

I have started a new crop of vegetables this year

Tomatoes Runner beans and cucumber 

20230629_120707.jpg

 cucumber flower

20230627_072340.jpg

 Beans just starting to crop now

20230627_071902.jpg

 Tomato flowers.

Growing these gives me so much joy. Growing these from seeds is so interesting and neighbour's swapping different varieties they have grown too. A new one to me is a Tomato from a neighbour that is a chocolate colour!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122952 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

A lovely interesting read @TallTrees. Nice to see what's going on in your garden. ❤️

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

TallTrees
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Thank you @Cleoriff 

Trying to give a little light relief to the momentous troubles that seem to beset the planet presently 🥺

Pedestal pot photo from my garden. 

This is a really pretty and economic way to fill a pedestal pot.

Creeping jenny came from garden and the blue campanula  arrived anyway, all over the garden here 🙄 makes a pretty display.

In the centre I planted a small grass type plant called carex this was a piece from the garden and will stay in pot through winter. 

20230629_120915.jpg

 How is your garden doing?

Did you manage to pot anything this year?

Know it's hard work though. I had a rest from vegetables last year, got some energy up from rest !! 

Bye Cleoriff 💖

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 12

TallTrees
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

How sweet is this: a female blackbird sunbathing. 

Summer 😊 

20230702_084207.jpg

 Enjoying the sun. 

BASIL CUCUMBER AND TOMATOES 

waiting and waiting for them to grow so I can eat them a n d  t h e n there'll be too many of them at once!!  🤣🙄

20230703_083109.jpg

20230703_083003.jpg

20230703_083121.jpg

@Breanna 

How does your garden grow?

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 4 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122952 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I've only potted a few this year @TallTrees. Had some surgery late May and not really fully recovered so just did as much as I felt like. I love campanula. Particularly the blue, when it's drifting over walls etc.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 12

TallTrees
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Campanula is really lovely. It gets everywhere here in between pavings every pot, I resist calling it a weed though!

Glad you managed a pot or two. Know you had lots. Heavy work though and sensible to only take on what you can manage. @Cleoriff 

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 12

Breanna
Former Staff
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

So lovely to see everything going on in your garden @TallTrees! We are growing well over here. Had a good lunch of fresh broad beans, onions and garlic sauteed with bacon. Very happy the garlic is growing well this year.

Had a bit of weird weather (hot to cold and calm to windy) the last week or two which has caused some of my onions and all of the shallots to finish up early this year. Spent Sunday morning getting them twisted up to cure for a couple weeks.

You're right @TallTrees as soon as those cucumbers and tomatoes are ready, they'll all be coming at once 🤣

onions.jpg

Message 7 of 12

TallTrees
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Edible and arty! @Breanna 

I would like to grow garlic, just simply. If you could give me some advice it would be most appreciated.   

More little leaf cutter bees ready for next year. This is a great little bee busy making her bees.

Here she is

20230703_162649.jpg

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 12

Breanna
  • 1808 Posts
  • 117 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

Are all the closed up tubes already finished @TallTrees? These guys are so interesting! My husband has been set on attracting birds to our garden and now he's befriended a blackbird who will come up to the door and tell you if the feeder gets emptied out by the starlings. 

I must say I usually don't have the planning brain for things like garlic! Typically it should be planted in about mid-late autumn before the ground goes cold but I didn't have the chance so I put mine out in late January. I was afraid it might get warm too early like last year so I just put soil in cardboard boxes and put them in full shade to keep everything cool for as long as possible, then in March or April I just pulled them out into the sun. Super easy!

Message 9 of 12

TallTrees
  • 10771 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @Breanna 

Yes I thought garlic was planted end of year. Do you use the garlic from the shops?

BEES

Each female put in about 6 or 7 eggs into a tube so each female can fill about three tubes I suppose.  All the tubes in my boxes rarely get completely used but there are quite a lot.  Each tube for the Red Mason Bee has about 7 eggs/bees in on average and over their laying period All the females fill about 100 to 150 tubes this makes a huge colony. I put out about 200 tubes and about 1000 bees from last years colony.  I find that the bees fill more or sometimes less tubes, some of my bees may choose to go elsewhere and fill holes in trees also each year is different. This year the tubes have also attracted the leaf cutter bee, I am very pleased about that.

Blackbirds and robins are very "pushy" and will come in the house too.  They are smart and such fun.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 10 of 12