cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Spoiler warning] New Star Trek series on Netflix!

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi guys, hope your day is going well!

Are you aware that there's a new Star Trek series on Netflix now? It started on Monday and there's already 2 episodes available. 

This is me about it: Crazy Confused CrazyBouncy Crazy 

Have you started watching it already or have plans to do so? I'm still lacking behind in the previous series a bit, currently at mid-season 3 on Voyager. However, do you think I should go ahead anyway and watch the new one too at the same time? @Martin-O2 said it shouldn't spoil anything but... I'm a bit paranoid! Shocked

Apparently it's pretty awesome at least according to this article.

Trailer:

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

How is the 3rd one out already! So fast! Confused Do you know which day of the week it is?

I just caught up with the first 2 episodes over the weekend. I was super impressed with the visuals. I agree with the above comments that it is quite different from the style of previous series. I haven't seen past late season 3 of Voyager yet so can't really say what it looks like afterwards in the later series/movies yet though.

More info
More info
More info
I will need to get used to seeing those hairless and more orc-like Klingons as I'm so used to the like of Wharf. grin And was one of them an albino?
Also about the cast - they all seem very very young to me. Also something I need to get used to so it feels believable. I'm sure I'll get there soon!

Also...

More info
More info
I was so happy to see a "shiny" version of the old Communicators. Made me feel nostalgic! Not everything is different after all about the tech.
Message 11 of 28

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
@Marjo, its out every Monday on Netflix. Not sure what time it becomes available though.
Message 12 of 28

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Watched episode 3 last night. It was amazing!

@sheepdog your earlier spoiler text also summarised it quite well. grin And thanks, I'll login to Netflix then on Monday evening to check if episode 4 is there! thumbsup

What are you watching it on by the way - big screen or mobile? 

Message 13 of 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

This really is a series that I look forward to every episode now. It's certainly a Monday highlight 😀

Message 14 of 28

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Mondays are not that bad after all!

Message 15 of 28

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Watched episode 3 last night. It was amazing!

@sheepdog your earlier spoiler text also summarised it quite well. grin And thanks, I'll login to Netflix then on Monday evening to check if episode 4 is there! thumbsup

What are you watching it on by the way - big screen or mobile? 

On a glorious 16 year old 28 inch Cathode Ray Tube Panasonic TV! Fortunately the YouView box has a scart out so it works rather well without using HDMI. Must check it out on the bigger LCD in the other room but to be honest, I have Netflix on SD quality so it doesn't eat up my data allowance on 4G wifi device thingy (another story for another thread) and its perfect quality on a CRT.

Message 16 of 28

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

So episode 4 and a few annoyances starting to appear but spoiler-ised

More info

1) Michael's single solitary expression/impression of a Vulcan brooding is getting rather annoying every other shot. The lingering face shot into the next scene is really overdoing it now.

2) The Klingon cult eats meat....

3) Michael gets a pet and is amazingly a know it all about extra-terrestial biology. Typical ST smart-alec and solves it in 10 minutes.

4) Captain Lorca. More of him please!!!! This is what we really want. 

5) The introduction of the ever so prim camp Doctor who argues with his partner in front of everyone (who got his nose out of joint 😉 )If ST wants to be 'progressive' then this couple is rather cliched and oh so annoying already. 

6) Black alert and nobody seems phased about rushing around to battle stations.

7) They need to bring back the red shirts so we know who's getting bumped off. These blue outfits really don't help.

😎 Theme tune is still forgettable. 
9) Way too much Klingon subtitling. 

Oh and the Elon Musk reference was just too far-fetched for my liking. 

Otherwise, oh yes, the space battle is so worth watching for. 

BTW: 9 episodes for this current run then another 6 next year from mid/late January to complete the first season.

Message 17 of 28

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Episode 5 and now it feels like its a proper standalone Star Trek.

Spoilerised summary:

More info

Parallels to the Evil Universe are quite apparent in this episode in its tone
Klingons engage in extreme happy slapping

Klingon blasters. Yes!!!!!!!

Saru is developing into a decent character though a quick intro of the bridge crew was rather more like a montage of pop videos icons of the 1980's & 90's. Phil Oakey, Bow Wow Wow and that one from Daft Punk.

Theme tune sounds far better when loud. Still unmemorable.
I'm getting bored of Ensign Wesely Crusher Michael Burnham

Message 18 of 28

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Already episode 5! open_mouth

I have a question for you @sheepdog about one thing in your summary....

More info
More info
What parallels were there to the evil universe? I totally missed that I think!? Unless you meant in general the whole episode... was a bit dark! open_mouth I felt so bad for the mushroom creature being hurt in the machine. disappointed_relieved

In general I'm starting to like the main character a bit more. Finally some additional facial expressions! Happy Dance

Message 19 of 28

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Already episode 5! open_mouth

I have a question for you @sheepdog about one thing in your summary....

More info
More info
What parallels were there to the evil universe? I totally missed that I think!? Unless you meant in general the whole episode... was a bit dark! open_mouth I felt so bad for the mushroom creature being hurt in the machine. disappointed_relieved

In general I'm starting to like the main character a bit more. Finally some additional facial expressions! Happy Dance

More info

@Marjo

Definitely in tone and morals of the evil  mirror universe. Thought the bit at the end was probably the symbolic nod to it nerd

Message 20 of 28