cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what have you binge watched lately?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not a huge boxset binger but over the past three weeks I've watched the entire third season of Designated Survivor on Netflix followed up by the third and final (bar the very last episode which I'll watch tomorrow) season of Jessica Jones also on Netflix.

Will return to Good Omens next I think but anyone got any suggestions?

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
Agree re shows that don't "end" - one that always stood out was Invasion (William Fichtner was in it).
Suffered a little at the start from pacing issues, but by the end was really kicking on but only lasted one series.

I remember that too. Kinda like a modern day Invasion Of The Body Snatchers).  It finished on heck of a cliffhanger then never come back.  There was a half baked film re-work of it with Nicole Kidman if I remember (certainly a very similar plot).

Thanks

Steve
Message 11 of 46

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:
Agree re shows that don't "end" - one that always stood out was Invasion (William Fichtner was in it).
Suffered a little at the start from pacing issues, but by the end was really kicking on but only lasted one series.

I remember that too. Kinda like a modern day Invasion Of The Body Snatchers).  It finished on heck of a cliffhanger then never come back.  There was a half baked film re-work of it with Nicole Kidman if I remember (certainly a very similar plot).

So do I @welshsteve76. It was cancelled after the first season. I really got into it and wanted to know what happened next. Didn't grab the Anerican audience sufficiently though: it's all about the ratings and the advertising budget they command. With the number of channels available both here and in America, there is a wide choice of programmes. Some make it to season after season, while others fall after the first season.

There have been a number of American series that I enjoyed but unfortunately the American viewing public didn't agree, and they disappeared after one season.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 12 of 46

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Yet some really naff shows continue series after series.  Law & Order: SVU I used to watch, but it became more about Olivia than the work they do and stopped watching it. America does love its procedural dramas though

Thanks

Steve
Message 13 of 46

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@welshsteve76 wrote:

Yet some really naff shows continue series after series.  Law & Order: SVU I used to watch, but it became more about Olivia than the work they do and stopped watching it. America does love its procedural dramas though

Now I love Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Criminal Intent is back too.

And yes, I agree SVU focusses on Olivia a lot. Mariska Hargitay is an executive producer of the show, so that may be one reason why. But I like that they show the human side to the characters and that they have a life away from the station. Real life cops, here and in America, do have families and enjoy life away from work.

I speak as someone who's late partner was a senior ranking detective at New Scotland Yard before he retired. He worked long hours, particularly if there was a major case on but we did enjoy life as well and managed to travel quite a bit in Europe.

And yes I totally agree with you @welshsteve76 America loves its procedural dramas. So do I: must be the American side of me that nearly 50 years here hasn't managed to kill off LOL

Message 14 of 46

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Going back years, what about Lost? What started off as a must-not-miss series ended up being the most banal trash as more and more impossible scenarios where dreamt up and at that point I just gave up watching. In fact I gave up even trying to understand the silly plots and dreams.

Message 15 of 46

BOSSGOGG
Level 8: Talented
  • 384 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Ha, Lost. A 3 season story told over 7 seasons.
Great premise, fantastic opening few episodes. Ruined
unnamed
Message 16 of 46

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

And I think most people worked out they were dead, about halfway through the series.

Having said that, I actually own the series. Binged it once to see if it made any more sense: it didn't rofl

Message 17 of 46

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Couldn't get into it at all....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 46

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The stupid thing is that it was the talk of the media and in the pubs which is I suppose the point. But it was dire after the first 2 series.

Message 19 of 46

welshsteve76
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I agree on "Lost", I stopped watching at after 2 or 3 series.

Thanks

Steve
Message 20 of 46