cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Table style Forum Boards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys and Gals,

I regulary visit Nokia Discussions as I like to keep abreast of whats new etc.

There are the usual forum boards there and one also called " The Round Table" where only elite members of a certain rating can be added by the moderators where subjects can be discussed out of the view of guests and freshmen members.

I know we have the "off topic boards" but I wonder if this is of interest for here ?

Just a thought so please dont flame me ! lol.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I use a forum for paranoids and they said they'd closed the superuser forum - I reckon they just said that so they could talk about me in secret Smiley Embarassed

love it!Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

good idea, i would like it as we have some great regular people here

I believe this type of private board allows conversations that are a little less guarded.

Message 12 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey bandofbrothers,

Great suggestion, thanks for sharing that.

The round table idea is really fantastic and something I'd definitely like to have a closer look at (as long as we don't have to dress up as Lancelot or something! :D). 

If possible, I think we should keep discussions as transparent as possible and try and do these things publically, especially because the idea of making decisions as a community is so powerful. 

Just out of interest, if we would have something like this, what would you like to discuss?

Cheers,

Leonard

Message 13 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey bandofbrothers,

Great suggestion, thanks for sharing that.

The round table idea is really fantastic and something I'd definitely like to have a closer look at (as long as we don't have to dress up as Lancelot or something! :D). 

If possible, I think we should keep discussions as transparent as possible and try and do these things publically, especially because the idea of making decisions as a community is so powerful. 

Just out of interest, if we would have something like this, what would you like to discuss?

Cheers,

Leonard

How can you think it's a "great suggestion" when you closed down exactly the same thing just 6 months ago. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

Message 14 of 44

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

How can you think it's a "great suggestion" when you closed down exactly the same thing just 6 months ago. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

Seconded

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apart from forums where I've used "moderator only" sections, the only uses I've seen for "restricted access" forums and sub-forums is to allow uncensored language or "anything goes" discussions - sometimes where the main forum has very strict "on topic" rules but mostly just so people can be as childish and awful as possible.

There shouldn't really be any need for an unmoderated or "anything goes" section on a major service provider's forum.  There may be some justification for an "adult" section on something like a Doctor Who fan forum where some legitimate discussions are stifled by the fact that "kids" may be present - but not on O2's customer forum.  There are plenty of outlets for such things on the www without lowering this one to the lowest common denominator.

I'd say that if there is any perceived value in having some customers elevated to having a "closer relationship" with the forum officials - it would be better to appoint them as moderators - so everyone else know who is who and who does what.   Just having an "elite" based on dates of registration or numbers of posts/point-counts is a bad idea - it's stagnant and "in-bred".

I have seen forums with "private" or "restricted" sections rip themselves to pieces.  My experience of them - overall - is that they rapidly become chat-rooms with the usual chatroom mentality and little content of value to anyone.  They are also a hot-bed of gossip and insults about other members who are not able to read the posts - which usually backfires when the victim later "qualifies" to use the hidden forums and reads what was said about them.

Basically - anything that someone doesn't want shared with all other members - who are, after all, O2's paying customers - is either best left un-said or can already be done via private messages.

One of the best things about this forum is that there is no elitism - people who've been here for years and have 10,000 posts to their name are not treated and do not treat others any differently to someone who joined yesterday.  I'd be very wary of rocking that boat - it's a rare thing and a major part of the positive character of the place.  From a purely personal perspective, at the first sign of any "us and them" appearing on the forum, I'd be gone because I've seen more than enough slow-motion train-wrecks to get any pleasure out of seeing another.

Message 16 of 44

MI5
  • 145219 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27887 Solutions
Well said pengipete, i'm with you all the way...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 17 of 44

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

As above, I have to agree. I have an oval table....does that count? You're all welcome round for an in-depth discussion about trivial nonsense or about setting the world to rights!

ps. bring beer and cookies!

Message 18 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
These are the kind of answers I'm interested in reading.

The discussions that take place in the other forum I've mentioned contain no adult only humour/themes and nor does it contain insults about other members.

This VIP board is moderated as much as the others thus anything remotely against the rules is decimated.

The inclusion of members does not rest on a post count but by invite only by a moderator who has recognised the member etc.

Most threads in the VIP area are long standing members talking about Nokia products and upcoming products.

I suppose its a bit like the off topic boards here but out of the public eye of guests.

The Nokia forum has been around for a long time and has not ripped itself apart with such a board ,but also on balance I submit its not for all forums and members.

This is why I asked the generalised question.

If the majority don't want something like this then fine by me.

Message 19 of 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pengipete

I can assure you the Superuser section was nothing like you imagine in the above post -- lets stick to reality here.

Message 20 of 44