Did you mean: 

Robert Rauschenberg goat and other art oddities

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys, 

The Tate Modern will be displaying a series of works by the American artist Robert Rauschenberg which will include sculpture's made from 1970's shredded wheat boxes or his "white paintings" which are only complete when the viewer casts a shadow on them. 

One of the more unusual works that will be displayed is a stuffed goat with an old car tyre tied around it's back. It's quite unusual but interesting to look at. 

Goat.jpg

Whilst I would consider the goat sculpture art I'm not so sure about some of the other things that are put forward as modern art, especially some of the Turner Prize entries like the big blob of blu tack on the wall or the room with flickering lights! 

What do you guys think about modern art? Is it people making a fuss over nothing or is there genuinely some creativity in these modern art works? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It isn't Art as we know it ... but it is what 'Art' has become 

Nah Jane...it's rubbish....let's be very clear....Bouncy

I think I would rather look at Tracy Emins 'Unmade Bed'.....

On second thoughts I won't look at any of it....Shocked

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's crap

Message 12 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

It's crap

LOL Says it all really....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

These modern artists think they are so talented and that you have to study the displays to understand the concept. I wouldn't cross the road to look at any of them and the so called experts who can see things we cannot should be going for therapy for their illusions and imagined superiority.

Message 14 of 18

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Some pretty strong feelings that modern art is nonsense then Smiley Very Happy Although I do quite like the goat. At least he mounted it and painted the base. Some creativity went into it unlike the blob of blu tack on the wall. 

I would say Taxidermy is art. f you've ever seen the "taxidermy gone wrong" pictures you'll agree! 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 15 of 18

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Martin-O2 wrote:

I would say Taxidermy is art. f you've ever seen the "taxidermy gone wrong" pictures you'll agree! 

A close friend is a taxidermist and he would vehemently disagree with pieces such as this >>>>

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/13_01.jpg?quality=65&strip=all&w=640

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 16 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Taxidermy may well be a skill but not an art form..... I suspect it also brings pleasure to those who wish to have their dead animals stuffed for posterity. Conversely... I have no wish to walk into any art gallery and see dead animals taking pride of place... all in the name of art. It's cheap, nasty and does nothing more than shock...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Modern art is one of the many things wrong with the world we live in. Appreciated only by those who think they see something creative. It's junk, it will be long forgotten by 99% of people who see it for what it undoubtedly is, rubbish that only the minority appreciate because they think they should.

Show me an old master such as Haywain,  De Vinci , Turner, Michaelangelo or Raphael, a sculpture by Rodin,  famous land marks such as The Great Sphinx, Easter Island, Stonehenge and even the more modern Mount Rushmore and the Statue of Liberty, the Pyramids, the Taj Mahal, gaze in wonder and appreciation. Look then at Tracy Emin's unmade bed and shake your head wondering what is that all about? OK,  kick the soapbox away, modern art is garbage!

Message 18 of 18