cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revised UK tax laws could affect prices of apps and other digital content by 2015

Anonymous
Not applicable

"In what could be one of the hotly debated issues of the year, UK authorities are looking to make some adjustments to the tax laws which could directly affect mobile consumers. As per these changes, app downloads or purchase of any digital content such as music, movies etc could cost substantially more starting from 2015."

Source : iPhonehacks.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/03/uk-tax-laws-price-increase-apps.html

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3322 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

I'm honestly surprised it wasn't charged at 20% already. I've purchased software from US and European based companies and they've made it specific you will be charged the countries tax rate when you download. Its nothing new just an adjustment to take into account the move from physical to digital. 

Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit I wasn't aware that taxes weren't already applied.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

VAT is already charged on ebooks so I'm surprised it's taken them this long to apply it to music!

Message 4 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3417 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Firstly, everybody seems to pin the blame of piracy of the price of applications; pirates, don't want to pay so won't pay. Linux pretty much has that aspect sussed, all the software is funded by their enterprise charges.

It seems they will tax anything at any opportunity these days...so this no surprise there then.

Indubitably true. Samsung S21 Ultra and Xiaomi 14 Ultra
Message 5 of 5