cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable batteries - do you miss them?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes the best course of action to resolve issues  with electronic devices is to remove the power source to allow the RAM to clear.

With my current phone (Nokia 5) I've had to accept the lack of a removable battery.

Manufacturers say that using non removable batteries allows them more design flexibility  by allowing change of shape etc.

I also think that, quite understandably they got sick of seeing news stories and twitter posts about devices going up in flames because genuine batteries with charge control and thermal runaway protection circuitry were replaced with cheap knock offs that didn't have this thus causing many of the publicised issues.

So do you miss the removable battery?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Can't say that I have.
I have a juice bank if I need to top up when away from a power supply and I never used to carry spare batteries anyway.
There's always a reset button or switch press process to simulate a battery pull too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 20

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can't say I miss them in all honesty but what I do miss is the simplicity of taking the back off and replacing the sim card after removing the battery. It's so annoying having to find a suitable needle or sharp pointed thing to mess with a sim carrier!

Message 3 of 20

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It's so annoying having to find a suitable needle or sharp pointed thing to mess with a sim carrier!

This is so very true......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
No I don't miss them. And fortunately my phone came with a 'tool' so I can remove my sim card without doing damage to either my phone or fingers.

I think, whether we like it or not, removable batteries are pretty much a thing of the past.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 5 of 20

jonsie
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

My little tool was left in the Bangkok-Pattaya hospital when I was flown back home....and yes, I'm talking about the little tool for removing the sim card, not the other one speak_no_evil

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

My little tool was left in the Bangkok-Pattaya hospital when I was flown back home....and yes, I'm talking about the little tool for removing the sim card, not the other one speak_no_evil

Your little tool @jonsie? ... that's not the rumour I heard wink

Message 7 of 20

Poppysmum
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

No i dont miss the removable battery 

I use the ejection pin or thats what i got told in 02 shop it was called joy

Message 8 of 20

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Yep, same here @Poppysmum 😉
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 20

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Manufacturers say that using non removable batteries allows them more design flexibility  by allowing change of shape etc.

So do you miss the removable battery?

You mean the emotional industrial design of a rectangular black slab? Yet battery life has got worse with bigger devices that we've been apparantly telling the manufactures have to be thinner. Please Nokia, give us back the crazy designs you used to throw out onto the market that we love you for. 

I really find it annoying having to do a reset by performing a multi handed contortion exercise which never worked first time then by some miracle worked. Are you listening LG Google Nexus 4? (power button, volume up or down and insert power cable. Repeat in any random order till the damn thing does something eventually and turns on). Recently discovered that my iPhone 5S resets if you press the home key plus the power button when all I wanted to do was take a screenshot that involves pressing the home button and the power button at the same time. 

Message 10 of 20