Did you mean: 

RARGH ruddy audi brakes!!

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
"Rant"

Why on earth would you want a 7mm hex key to take off the calliper retainers!!! Who the hell has a 7mm ooo that's right a mechanic:( stupid bolts stupid cars:( I miss my old British MG:( it had a nut to undo, a nut! If it broke hit it with a hammer and it worked. If it didn't, hit it with a bigger hammer and it coughed into life. Spent £400 on new kit for the Audi only for it to tell me to off until I brought another brand new tool I didn't already have:(

"Rant over"

Arrgh feel better:)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

On the down side a lot of my tools are now obsolete including full sets of the old English Whitworth spanners and sockets but everything is now Metric. On the plus side, if you have an old Austin/Morris car you want working on......:smileyhappy:

You're talking very good and hard to buy kit there jonsie, don't underestimate it's value! slight_smile

Liquid could be in the market for a start.......!

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

It's a shame they are wasted and I have to give them a liberal dose of WD40 every year. I would never get rid of them though, might have them buried with me!Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
My dream car is still the 68 Lincoln continental. 

Very good choice slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 13 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
You could get a pretty penny. Some tools are deemed as antiques now. I have an old hand drill the one with the wooded block up top and you push another block down a corkscrew to power it. Worth about £40.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 24

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Liquid wrote:
You could get a pretty penny. Some tools are deemed as antiques now. I have an old hand drill the one with the wooded block up top and you push another block down a corkscrew to power it. Worth about £40.

An Archimedes drill by the sound of it, I think you can still buy them.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 15 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
That's the one:) forgot the name. Found one recently in an antiques shop for £40
Message 16 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Finally got the hex key, got down and dirty fitting my pads and disks(love working on cars) got to the final wheel and guess what! The locking nut has been completely mangled looks like someone's taken a screw driver to it.

Now I definatly checked the bolts before purchasing the car so either I really screwed up or some unscrupulous individual fancied my wheels at some point:( I'd of been done for if I had a flat tyre 😕

Any tips on removing these suckers? I know they're not designed to come out being security bolts and all haha. My best drill just scuffed it slightly then went blunt:(

Tried rocking the car to try and break lose the bolt (it sounded like a winner in my head:D)
Couldn't hammer the adaptor in as its aluminium and would of given up the ghost long before biting into the bolt. (Would of stuffed me for removing the rest)

Do I just suck it up and pay a mechanic?
Message 17 of 24

ComaChameleon
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 2208 Posts
  • 24 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Aren't there Audi-forums in English? Forums usually have good tips wink

And hey! Audi is the best German car-engineering brought to market! (Ok, Volkswagen concern did in that case...) tongue

Which one is it?

iPhone 14 Pro Max * 128 GB * Deep Purple * unlocked
iPad Pro 11" wifi * 128 GB * silver + Apple Pencil 2
Apple Watch Series 5 Nike+ (& Series 2)
MacBook Pro 15" 2018 + Magic Mouse 2
Apple TV 4K + HD
Home Pod white + mini

Mobile history:
Alcatel One Touch Easy * Nokia 3310 * Siemens A60 * Siemens SL65 * Nokia 6230i * Nokia 6300i * Apple iPhone 3GS (used) * iPhone 3GS (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 4S (used) * iPhone 4S (replaced by Apple) * iPhone 6 * iPhone 7 * iPhone XR * iPhone 12 Pro Max * iPhone 14 Pro Max
Message 18 of 24

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-emergency-locking-wheel-nut-remover-set-4pcs/94826?kpid=94826&cm_mmc... or similar may help

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 19 of 24

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Annoyingly its the macabre ones with a free spinning collar above the nut so they won't work:( thanks though Adam:)

Can't get the collar off as it appears to be stronger than any tool I own haha.

Woe is me
Message 20 of 24