Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25333 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Since Saturday I have been having problems getting online. When I eventually managed to get online and not just on this forum, I found it was taking so long for pages to load.

I have tried various things - unplugged and replugged dongle; cleared browsing history; cleared cache - none made a scrap of difference.

Managed to get back on here after very long time for forum to load, and then long wait for Off Topic.

Any advice would be appreciated - especially as I have a new game which should be starting tomorrow.

Thanks

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37178 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

If things are still iffy, perhaps best to delay the new game a week or so? No comers for comments, and the dongle may be a bit ropey and in need of some attention...

Message 2 of 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124059 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7503 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

If things are still iffy, perhaps best to delay the new game a week or so? No comers for comments, and the dongle may be a bit ropey and in need of some attention...

@Mi-Amigo 

I agree with @pgn. I'm sure a new game needs all your attention. However, if all was working well last night then away we go.

PS I use a dongle in my PC when we go away. It didn't work in May. Since found out it was an old one, no longer compatible with any sim card. Luckily I found another one which did work and all was well. Eventually.

Might be worth checking Amazon as it's Prime Day (today and tomorrow)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 7

Mi-Amigo
  • 25333 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @pgn and @Cleoriff 

Fingers crossed, it looks like that last night I may have found what the problem was.

I have managed to get on this morning with no problem and have posted the new game.

We`ll see how things pan out during the day.

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 7

pgn
  • 37178 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

Went well today, @Mi-Amigo - well done in pinpointing the root cause of your pc/dongle performance issue! Hopefully nothing too onerous...?

Message 5 of 7

Mi-Amigo
  • 25333 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @pgn and @Cleoriff 

Long story, short as to cause of problem...

About a month ago I took up the offer from my online security provider to have free trial for a month of their Driver Update.

I had e-mail yesterday to remind me that my free trial was almost up and did I want to keep it. If not, there was a link to cancel it and owe nothing.

I didn`t want it, so clicked link and completed info to cancel.

A drop dow menu asked why I wanted to cancel... in list of options as to why I wanted to cancel was

"Driver updater slows down internet connection"

I couldn`t believe it.

I cancelled the Driver Update and deleted all of it from my laptop.

Did a test last night and no problems - not just with connecting to the Community but on other sites too.

So all sorted.

Lesson learnt - even though I`ve never had any problems or faults with network security provider before.

Girl in a jacket

Robert Kennedy.

Message 6 of 7

pgn
  • 37178 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1690 Solutions

Every moment's a learning moment, @Mi-Amigo 🤷😉

Message 7 of 7